Sequioa NP

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited August 18, 2009 in Landscapes
So the weekend after the Grand Canyon, I was up at Sequoia National Park and while I still have some images from the GC I want to get to fixing up and processing, I couldn't stay away from the Sequoia images completely so here's a couple.

One of the challenges to capturing these trees is their immense size and the widest lens I've got in my arsenal stops at 19mm, so while I got my fair share of images with an entire tree in them, most of the time I was trying to focus on more abstract kind of images with just parts of the trees.

1| The General Grant Tree - 2nd largest tree in the world, our National Christmas Tree & a National Shrine
612027007_V5qkQ-XL.jpg

2|
617198161_tPmWR-XL.jpg

More images to come when I've got a chance to process, but C&C are of course welcomed on these two! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    wow those are monsters! Nicely done, you have exposed them both very well. Love the colors and detail
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Great tree images! I really like the colors and comp of that 2nd shot. Wonderful! :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    wow those are monsters! Nicely done, you have exposed them both very well. Love the colors and detail

Thank you, Doug!
    It really is awe-inspiring to stand at the base of these majestic monsters and just look up!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 17, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Great tree images! I really like the colors and comp of that 2nd shot. Wonderful! :Dthumb.gif

Thank you, Mahesh!
    Generally, before venturing into "untested waters" (it was my first trip to Sequoia) I do some image searches just to see what's there and try to imagine what sort of comps I should be looking for. While a number of them failed to materialize, #2 is one that did!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Chris I'm thrilled to see that someone went! I hear that they had free park admission on a lot of the NPs this weekend but couldn't venture that far. :D What I hadn't realized about Sequoia NP is that it's actually comprised of a bunch of different terrains, each with vastly different personalities. Did you get to hit 'em all?

I just LOVE the second shot. I agree that it's so hard to take photos of these, and only partially because you're usually too busy standing there with your jaw on the ground. But #2 is a gorgeous, completely original take on them that is both simple and artistc, but also representative of what you see when you are faced with these giants.

Excellent thumb.gif
    edited August 17, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Chris I'm thrilled to see that someone went! I hear that they had free park admission on a lot of the NPs this weekend but couldn't venture that far. :D What I hadn't realized about Sequoia NP is that it's actually comprised of a bunch of different terrains, each with vastly different personalities. Did you get to hit 'em all?

I just LOVE the second shot. I agree that it's so hard to take photos of these, and only partially because you're usually too busy standing there with your jaw on the ground. But #2 is a gorgeous, completely original take on them that is both simple and artistc, but also representative of what you see when you are faced with these giants.

Excellent thumb.gif

Thank you, Schmoo!! :D

These weren't from this past weekend, I'm just horribly slow & behind on my processing lately! The closest park to me is Cabrillo National Monument, which is relatively small and jam packed even when it's not free so I opted to stay comfortable on my couch this weekend! rolleyes1.gif

We pretty much drove past most of the terrains. It's really a gorgeous drive, but being first-timers there, my girlfriend and I weren't real sure where we could park and get to some of the lower foothills areas (we saw some small turnouts here and there, but no real "Park Here-Hike around for a while" type spots). We spent a majority of our time happily with in the "Sequoia Belt," but there's always next time to do some more exploring of the other regions!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    #2 is great Chris- love it! :D Now you have revived my interest in heading to Sequoia. Will have to do it soon!!! Nice work sir!

Cheers,