Cake Smash Session

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited August 18, 2009 in People
This little guy will be turning 1 in a few weeks. His momma is a friend of mine from h.school and we reconnected through FB. She and I both had the same idea of doing a cake smash with him. It started really slow because she has him trained to not tear into his food. LOL By the end of this session, we were acting really goofy to bring out some of the responses I got. I also have some candid moments that even though you can see my backdrop stand....it is just too sweet.

1 The Cake...his mom made this kind of cake for the first time ever
620288426_xa9mC-L.jpg
620287804_bi36T-L.jpg
620286783_9nCuP-L.jpg
620290449_Wy8sY-L.jpg
620290194_9xYbf-L.jpg
620886291_qRNXU-L.jpg
620347905_ucLvQ-L.jpg
621140109_UEHFi-L.jpg
621142743_EEgH6-L.jpg
621143740_6EAdv-L.jpg
This guy is the boyfriend of the little one's oldest sister. His oldest sister is 20. :D
621137514_4bgP9-L.jpg
621138153_iNCpS-L.jpg

Comments

• bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Excellent work Julie!

I can only hope my kids will be that well trained when I get around to having kids! A one year old who WON'T tear into his food? rolleyes1.gif

The candids were very cute as well, and even though I was looking for it, the backdrop stand really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I'm sure your friend doesn't mind it either, it's a small nit.

3, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11 are my favorites, although that certainly doesn't narrow it down very much! They're all great images, I always enjoy seeing your work!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Excellent work Julie!

I can only hope my kids will be that well trained when I get around to having kids! A one year old who WON'T tear into his food? rolleyes1.gif

The candids were very cute as well, and even though I was looking for it, the backdrop stand really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I'm sure your friend doesn't mind it either, it's a small nit.

3, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11 are my favorites, although that certainly doesn't narrow it down very much! They're all great images, I always enjoy seeing your work!

~Nick

Thanks, I appreciate that. It was so funny, his mom kept apologizing to me that he wasn't getting as messy as we had hoped. lol When she first put his hand in the cake to get him started, he looked at her as if to say, "are you mad woman??" rolleyes1.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Oh my!! clap.gif This set is definitely a keeper!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Oh. My. God. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Someone had a fun time at their photo shoot. They're all keepers. But #8 takes the cake -- no pun intended. :D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Great set! I love the slow take-off...little nibble in #3, gently plucking a chunk in #4 and on from there! #8 and #10 are adorable! Keepers for sure. Beautifully done cake, too!
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    GREAT set! I love the trepidation in #5... it's as though you can see him thinking "really????" I agree that #8 & #10 are fabulous, but my personal favorite is #4... of course, I'm not looking at it from a mother's view point!!!

I agree with you about the candids... it's like you captured that "sigh of relief"! Again, fabulous set! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    Great idea and well executed. thumb.gif I bet the kid couldn't believe his luck.rolleyes1.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Beautiful and fun. I loved 10 best.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Adorable set! Love watching it unfold. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Adorable set! Love watching it unfold. clap.gif
    Have to agree with Elaine...much of the fun is in the progression of the set. Would be awesome to get the series all framed/matted together. Hard to pick a favorite, but I think 10's pretty funny...brings new meaning to the term 'finger licking good'.

Great work, as always Julie!thumb.gifthumb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Great idea.
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Love the whole set! What did you use for the bg and train?
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    A great idea. Nice shots..

I have have to try that with my twin grandsons who are 14 months. Do people have cakes on Labor Day?

What lens did you use?
    Rags
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Julie!!!!!!!! Your best work yet. Perfect light. #3, I'm still laughing. Great work, keep it up.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    These are super, Julie. Nice, soft high key work.

It is always fun to tell a little one involved in a project like this, that they got some in their hair.

They will immediately put both hands up on their scalp to feel for what they are eating.

My uncle used to love to do this with little ones eating mashed potatoes!

Needless to say, everyone thought it was hysterical except the child's parents.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    Love the whole set! What did you use for the bg and train?

My Background was seamless paper. i'm not familiar with the term train though.
    edited August 17, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Julie!!!!!!!! Your best work yet. Perfect light. #3, I'm still laughing. Great work, keep it up.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks so much. :D
    edited August 17, 2009
    torags wrote:
    A great idea. Nice shots..

I have have to try that with my twin grandsons who are 14 months. Do people have cakes on Labor Day?

What lens did you use?

I used my 50mm for the majority of the shots. I tried to use my 17-70mm lens, but I'm finding that is causes hot spots on the mask of the face. That's a whole other thread though.

I think that would be a great idea for even 14 month olds. It was fun. :D
    edited August 17, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    These are super, Julie. Nice, soft high key work.

It is always fun to tell a little one involved in a project like this, that they got some in their hair.

They will immediately put both hands up on their scalp to feel for what they are eating.

My uncle used to love to do this with little ones eating mashed potatoes!

Needless to say, everyone thought it was hysterical except the child's parents.

Thanks so much for the Comment. To be honest with the lights, I just set it to where I thought looked good in the lcd. I still would like for us to have a meeting on flashes and studio type lighting. I would love for more of my work to feel like the lighting was intentional and on purpose rather than happy little accidents. Laughing.gif
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Julie - this is some of your best work with a little one yet! I'm so impressed with your results! Love them all. I keep smiling more and more as I went down. The one on his back cracked me up!
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
    edited August 17, 2009
    Julie - this is some of your best work with a little one yet! I'm so impressed with your results! Love them all. I keep smiling more and more as I went down. The one on his back cracked me up!

Thanks my friend. ;)
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Wonderful! I'm going to have to steal this idea. I have a friend who makes cakes....
    edited August 17, 2009
    Wonderful! I'm going to have to steal this idea. I have a friend who makes cakes....

It's so so worth it!iloveyou.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    These are great. What a series!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Great set. What memories for a keepsake.