A couple more from thoth

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People
Comments and critique appreciated as usual.

1)
3828988816_353a8b53a9_o.jpg

2)
3828189145_f4cdd5d66d_o.jpg

Enjoy!
Travis

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I really like them both! I hope you don't my take on your photo, and if you do I'm very sorry and will remove. I find the gentlemen on the left to be distracting. I think a crop more like what I did below directs the focus back to the "cowboy" amidst modern transportation mwink.gif

621967375_jP2nL-L.jpg
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I really like them both! I hope you don't my take on your photo, and if you do I'm very sorry and will remove. I find the gentlemen on the left to be distracting. I think a crop more like what I did below directs the focus back to the "cowboy" amidst modern transportation mwink.gif
    Thanks for the comment Shannon. You're more than welcome to play with my photos anytime.

Although you're right that your crop draws the attention to the horse and rider they, and the vehicles behind them, are not the full story for me. In order to satisfy B.D.'s challenge for us I'll, for now, refrain from revealing my own thoughts on the image. I did, however, leave the fellow on the left on purpose. I surely appreciate your efforts, though!
    Travis
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I figured you had for some reason left him. As part of BD's exercise my interpretation was such.....what I would have seen in my mind.....

It does look as though the gentleman on the left is looking at the man on the horse in a sort of "you can't park your horse there" kinda look rolleyes1.gif or maybe he's holding the watering cup...Laughing.gif either way I'm intrigued and can't wait for it to be tomorrow and this exercise over. I like explanations... :)
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited August 17, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I figured you had for some reason left him. As part of BD's exercise my interpretation was such.....what I would have seen in my mind.....
    There's nothing wrong with choosing your own adventure. That's what we're all here for!
    Flutist wrote:
    It does look as though the gentleman on the left is looking at the man on the horse in a sort of "you can't park your horse there" kinda look rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

I keep calling it a horse too for some reason but I recall, later in the day, hearing the rider scold a child and saying, "that ain't no horse -- it's a mule." rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    #1: Wow, there's a dude I wouldn't like to mess with… …reminds me of this: http://www.entertonement.com/clips/yggsssmbtj--My-mule-thinks-you're-laughing-at-himJoe-Clint-Eastwood-A-Fistful-of-Dollars-

BTW I think the guy on the left balances the picture, else it's too centered (IMNSHO)

#2: What a great hat! (the nerd-pack looks slightly incongruous though…) - could do with more light on his face, although I understand it was probably a grabbed shot…

Nice, thanks for sharing -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited August 17, 2009
    Haha, thanks for the reply Wil. This fellow is a pretty typical Missouri farmer so, yeah, he's probably tougher than ol' Clint. rolleyes1.gif

I think I lost a little of the light on the fellows face, in the second photo, during the B&W conversion. I'll see if I can't lighten it back up a bit when I have a few minutes.
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Love the guys expression on 1. "Don't make me get off this horse, and come over there...." The cast of characters on 2 are great. Per Wil's comment, perhaps a square crop would get the one lady out of the image w/o losing the vertical interest?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Love the guys expression on 1. "Don't make me get off this horse, and come over there...." The cast of characters on 2 are great. Per Wil's comment, perhaps a square crop would get the one lady out of the image w/o losing the vertical interest?

Thanks for the comments, Andrew. Which lady are you referring to in #2?
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, Andrew. Which lady are you referring to in #2?

THe one at the far left just looking back. She's not really part of the story (at least my story :D )
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    THe one at the far left just looking back. She's not really part of the story (at least my story :D )

Gotcha. thumb.gif I think I could see how she could be taken or left. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Travis
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I like #1 just "as is". It's actually quite humorous to see the mule and rider in a parking spot reserved for a car. The fact that the rider is not paying one bit of attention to what the guy on the ground is saying also made me smile.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I too love the first one "as is". The mule adds a bit of humor that would be absent if he was riding a horse. :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 17, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I too love the first one "as is". The mule adds a bit of humor that would be absent if he was riding a horse. :D

Thanks!
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Flutist wrote:

621967375_jP2nL-L.jpg

Wrong, wrong, wrong!rolleyes1.gif The figure on the left, with his stance, the cup on his hip, and his gaze, makes the photo. Otherwise, it's just a guy on a mule with parked cars, not much.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed