Folly Beach Sunset

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Landscapes
This was Taken at Folly Beach SC last week with my Fuji F100FD, handheld (was scared to take my XTi onto the beach without proper protection from blowing sand etc)

DSCF1422_2.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Great colors in the sky and a wonderful reflection! I don't think the top of the sky contributes anything meaningful to this image. I suggest going with a square crop.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Dont be afraid to use your cameramwink.gif
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Great colors in the sky and a wonderful reflection! I don't think the top of the sky contributes anything meaningful to this image. I suggest going with a square crop.

Thank you!! Funny thing I shot this vertical and did not crop at all, maybe you are right - I should crop the top of the sky out of there :)
    edited August 17, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Dont be afraid to use your cameramwink.gif

You mean take it to the beach with all the blowing sand etc? Doesnt that risk it getting ruined?
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I have taken a Canon XTI as well as a Canon 50D out to the beach and sand and have had no problems with my camera.thumb.gif The only things that had sand everywhere was the umbrella that kept getting blown over. Yes, I had an assistant but all you had to do was let go for a second during one of the gust and it was down.

You can see some of the pictures from this day here.
    edited August 17, 2009
    so you think that taking it out as is with no covers etc wont damage the camera? I wish I had know thing (this is my first SLR) as I would have been able to capture better images I think with it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Quite a capture of the sunset; very rich. I agree about the crop.
    edited August 17, 2009
    thapamd wrote:

where would you suggest a crop as in how much of the top would you cut? I am going to play with it here shortly and see what I come up with.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    where would you suggest a crop as in how much of the top would you cut? I am going to play with it here shortly and see what I come up with.

I'd say take it all from the top and make the dimensions into a square. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Another option would be to use Photoshop (or similar program) to bring some color and life to the upper part of the sky. This way you could keep the original crop and adhere to the rule of thirds.

That is only if you're not opposed to faking it. thumb.gif
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Humble $.02
    brvheart wrote:
    so you think that taking it out as is with no covers etc wont damage the camera? I wish I had know thing (this is my first SLR) as I would have been able to capture better images I think with it.

15524779-Ti.gif that you shouldn't be afraid to use your camera. Yes there are bodies out there that do withstand rougher situations better (e.g. waterproof) but for a sunny day at a beach it should not be a problem. And if you get some sand in the cracks, buy a Rocket blower and clean it when you get home, or even send your gear away to get professionally cleaned if you're worried about it!

A too is meant to be used and photography is one of those things where you need to break out of the normal routines to get something that is a cut above the rest. If you don't shoot, you'll never get pics thumb.gif
    edited August 17, 2009
    brvheart makes note to self - use camera like you were taking the last photo you will be able to take - :)
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    You've captured some awesome color in the sky here, brvheart! Well done! thumb.gif

I agree that a sqaure crop might work best, but I wouldn't crop completely from the top. I'd take a little off the bottom, because there's not much happening at the very bottom and I really like the cloud formations above the sun light. I think the colors above the light nicely contrast the sun light on the underside of the clouds.

And get out there with the Canon!! :D
    My XTi's been to the beach with me almost every time I've gone for the last year and a half. If the wind is really whipping through, it might be a good idea to get the camera out of the wind, but I've had that feeling much more often in desert areas than at the beach. As long as you're not actually setting your camera in the sand, it should be ok! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 18, 2009
    Well....I guess that I need to hop in the truck and head back to Folly for another week so that I can utilize my XTi :)
    edited August 27, 2009
    ok, so here is another shot that I dug up from the same day - is this rendition better?

632246209_YshNq-L.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    ok, so here is another shot that I dug up from the same day - is this rendition better?

632246209_YshNq-S.jpg

I like it! Though I think I might prefer your other thread's version. It's tough to say but I do love the punched-up colors and the vignette. thumb.gif