1st attempt at slightly sexy-my daughter

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People
This is my youngest, her husband is an officer doing his second tour in Iraq. We actually began with a sexy vintage apron I found, but she wanted to try this in his shirt.
I did this with my new background, train, a large north facing window, on camera flash, a floor lamp, and some white cardboard room dividers. I know I need more lighting, but this was all I have to work with for now.

621427311_cysk5-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I think this is quite lovely. She looks beautiful, and I like the lighting.
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I think it looks great. Drips sexy and the shot is well done.

If I were to change anything I'd try to get more light on her extended leg, looks a little dark to me. Otherwise it's spot on.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

Your lighting and exposure look pretty darn good on my monitor. I think the pose looks good also but be careful with hand placement as her wrist looks a bit strained. Sometimes a twisted hand is all it takes to take a shot from great to blah (though this isn't necessarily one of those times). Well done, over all. I think she should be proud to send that over to the sandbox.
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Very well done.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    This is not just slightly sexy - but very!

Light looks pretty spot on. I agree the extended leg could use either more light or less - maybe a vignette?

If you have a chance to re-shoot before sending to her husband, I might suggest the following:
    • Her right arm placement is good. What I would change is the appearance of her supporting her weight on that arm. Taking her weight up with abdominal muscles (yes, posing can be a lot of work) will take the appearance of strain from the arm. This will also allow for the elbow to be bent (locked elbow - not so cool) and the right shoulder to drop just a bit.
    • Love the light on her gorgeous face. Can see some interaction in her eyes, but the rest of her face is a little too relaxed - almost as if this were one in a series and she wasn't quite ready.
    • There is nothing sexier than a pretty lady in her man's shirt iloveyou.gif. In addition to shooting with the shirt unbuttoned as it is here, did you try some with a couple of the buttons buttoned and then the shirt re-arranged in an attractive fashion - I think that might have a bit more impact.
    Finally, thank her and her husband. I know a bit about the sacrifices being made - my son is to return from his first tour to Iraq sometime this week. So Thanks!!!!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    This is nice! Beautiful daughter, and I like the contrast of the soft, almost demure expression with the semi-sexy pose/outfit. Good job, mom!

My only nit is that there's too much skin smoothing on her face for my taste - it's not too bad, but there is a hint of "plastic" to it for me. I think just the tiniest reduction of opacity on that and you've got it (and if that was makeup rather than retouching, perhaps just boost the exposure and tone down the red/orange in that area, which will help a little).

Now, question for you: how's that popup background working out for you? I'm seriously considering investing in one, but wanted some "real life" testimonials first rolleyes1.gif. All deets welcomed. thumb.gif
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Nice work...
    Great work. I've been on more than a few of those tours overseas myself and the hubby would have to be crazy not to appreciate this. The 'his shirt' thing is super awesome too. :wow

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Very lovely lady.

I think the pose is fine (recognizing there are laws of physics) and the contrast of the extended leg spot on.

I'm studying different techniques of lighting and reading threads with suggestions from pros (which some times contradictory).

So this comment is from one who is a student. I would be troubled by the blown edge of the shirt and the left side of her hair (recognizing blonde hair is low contrast to white background). Her skin color is perfect as presented.

It would be interesting to hear some comments on the shirts edge
    Rags
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Nice picture of a gorgeous woman! You might be able to get more isolation between the edge of the shirt and the background by increasing the distance between her and the background; have you thought of having a very small light between her and the background, lighting her from the back (rim light); such lighting might add just a hint of transparency to the shirt and just think of what that would do to the sexiness of the pic… :D

I'm not sure about her right arm; it looks a bit odd (too straight? as thoth said, it looks strained…)

Great pic considering the resources!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Other than what others have said about her right arm looking strained, it's a fabulous picture!!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11