31: maybe an idea

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Only the tiniest germ of a concept; not sure if I'll follow through with it, but thought I'd throw it out there (geez, but my creative well has dried up recently - I think it's cuz everybody's still on vacation and at home so I don't get as much time on my own, which is when ideas usually drop into my head!!)

In any case

"Opening night" (it was actually "opening morning" since it was a kids' camp, but that doesn't have the same ring to it :rofl)

619311414_5wBB4-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Certainly a more creative use of open than I've had!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Hi Diva,, :D

This is a cute take on the theme..

Looking at it, her arms wide open like that really bring it together for the theme and your title.. thumb.gif

Is this Diva Jr.? It is hard for me to tell because the one's you have put up of her have darker hair... The subject looks so pretty in this shot and happy too...

A few nits for clean up: I would clone out the hot light on the "lower" right hand corner.

I would heal that tiny point of light coming in under her raised hand right above the other child's head.

I would clean up the white line on the lower left corner too..

I am on the fence about the line coming up from behind her head. It distracts a tiny bit so you might consider cloning that out, but then it could be argued that it helps to frame the circle light too..

Other than these few polishes, I can't think of anything else..

I love your light here and especially the way it lights her hair up, so it may be worth accentuating that if ya can. Just a touch.. Perhaps select the back of the hair and bump the levels to really show off the glow.. but just a very tiny bit.. for polishing..

Nice capture..rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I would consider changing the title from "Opening Night" to "Open Arms" since the photo does not communicate Opening Night.

I like the image Diva.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I would consider changing the title from "Opening Night" to "Open Arms" since the photo does not communicate Opening Night.

I like the image Diva.

15524779-Ti.gif

When I first saw this I felt the judges may have a hard time with "opening night" because it's not that obvious. But Dan's idea about the open arms makes the image tie in more strongly to the theme. It's a great shot!
    edited August 17, 2009
    I'll dissent on that one. Open arms implies to me a welcoming of some sort, so calling this one open arms seems a bit off. The big light bloom says stage to me, so Opening Night worked.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Love this shot! I definitely agree with the title "Open Arms". Great choice of blue filter Diva, it looks very professional.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited August 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I'll dissent on that one. Open arms implies to me a welcoming of some sort, so calling this one open arms seems a bit off. The big light bloom says stage to me, so Opening Night worked.

Have to say I am on board with Andrew here Diva.. When I think of open arms I think of compassion and love.. Someone reaching for some"one" else.. I think the large light gives it a "show" and "stage" feeling too because she is standing higher than the others.. Will have to go with your gut on this one...thumb.gif

Kat
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    I love the photo...as usual you have come up with something unique diva. Seems I read somewhere quite some time ago in the DDS comment thread that its best not to title the image with the 'theme' words in it. That the picture should stand alone and the title help build the charactor of it instead of saying how it relates to the theme.

I could not find this particular "rule' though in the rules page...but just a thought.deal.gif

This photo does have a theme quality here and the viewer can see that there is open in it. I think that is the toughest part of the challenges is what to name something without putting the obvious theme right there. When I first saw this image I thought "Open dance interpretation" but then it has the word open in it.

Ever since I had read that post about not using the theme words in a title...it has really made me change the way I think of my images before I actually shoot them! I have to convey the theme in the photo as a stand alone...and the title is the gravy...like making a statement.

Anyhow...you are on the right track and the only CC I could give on the picture itself is white collar (?) down in the bottom left is a bit distracting. Might just make that disappear completely as it adds nothing to the shot.
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I really like it and I do like the Opening Night title. However, saying that, I had no idea that it is better NOT to use the challenge theme in the title of your image. Hmm. I'll have to think of another title for mine if I enter that one. rolleyes1.gif

I agree with the touch up suggestions that have been offered, since it seems like that bit of touch up would really make the center stage shine.

Really nice image.

Kara
    edited August 17, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I love the photo...as usual you have come up with something unique diva. Seems I read somewhere quite some time ago in the DDS comment thread that its best not to title the image with the 'theme' words in it. That the picture should stand alone and the title help build the charactor of it instead of saying how it relates to the theme.

I could not find this particular "rule' though in the rules page...but just a thought.deal.gif

This photo does have a theme quality here and the viewer can see that there is open in it. I think that is the toughest part of the challenges is what to name something without putting the obvious theme right there. When I first saw this image I thought "Open dance interpretation" but then it has the word open in it.

Ever since I had read that post about not using the theme words in a title...it has really made me change the way I think of my images before I actually shoot them! I have to convey the theme in the photo as a stand alone...and the title is the gravy...like making a statement.

Anyhow...you are on the right track and the only CC I could give on the picture itself is white collar (?) down in the bottom left is a bit distracting. Might just make that disappear completely as it adds nothing to the shot.

===============

Jag's correct.. That was mentioned a while back on the boards... I asked Kerry if I could name my gun shot "circles of coercion" and she said although there is no hard rule against using the challenge title in your own title, she said it was highly frowned upon.. so I went with "rounds of coercion" instead..

Great call on that collar of light.. I did not even notice that for some reason, but I definitely agree with Jag, it is distracting..:D What is it?

Kat
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Very nice, creative shot Diva.

I think your initial title works well, since you made it all blue...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Wow - just back to the computer after a day away, so THANKS for all these great responses! I didn't think the photo would generate this much interest, so thanks to all of you for proving me wrong iloveyou.gif

In no particular order...

Kat - I don't know what pinpoint of light you mean near her raised hand - she's holding something which has a couple of specular highlights on it, but other than that... nuttin' there. ne_nau.gif And yup, that's the Lil' Diva, performing the Genie in Aladdin with the drama camp she finished last week.

Title - thanks for the thoughts on that. I believe that the "don't use the theme word" was actually to discourage people from titling something EXACTLY as the name of the theme. While I take the point (it's a valid one) I also think that in this case, there's no way of avoiding it to convey the theatrical aspect of the shot and stay on theme - I'm sure as can be that if I titled it "First performance" lots of people would wonder what that has to do with "open". Maybe I'm off base there, but seems to me... Will see if I come up with anything better in the meantime :D Will ponder all of your excellent thoughts.... thumb.gif

As for further processing... well this has already had a lot done to it, so not sure how much further I can take it - the lighting for this show was DIRE (ISO 1600 shooting wide open at 1.8/2.0 depending on lens, and could STILL barely squeeze 1/50 shutter speeds out of the camera!) However, I can certainly clean up those light bits that are distracting - good catch on those, since I totally missed them as I converted and messed with the processing.

Thanks so much for all the great feeback!! thumb.gifiloveyou.gifbowdown.gif
    edited August 17, 2009
    Well she is definitely walking in her momma's footsteps, "literally" and she looks very comfortable doing it too...:ivar

Yes.. I was talking about that thing reflecting under her hand. I called it a pin light because I was trying to point out it was very small. The only reason I commented on it is because it falls right over the other child's forehead and stands out... A quick light pressure "burn" perhaps may tone it down and fade it out naturally?

Again, Love the shot and I have to agree with you on the title here, I can't think of any other way to say it either.. I will keep thinking, but that is a tough one for sure..

Kat
    edited August 18, 2009
    Got rid of the distracting lighter bits mentioned, and also burned in her eye makeup to make it clearer that it's onstage - does that help?

623387741_hQ39A-L.jpg
    edited August 18, 2009
    My eye went directly to her face in this one, wonderful! thumb.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I just love this. I like the color of the image and your daughter is so adorable.
    g
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    My eye went right to her face also. I really like the effect the blue has.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I agree....your new version take me directly to your daughter! Very nicely done. The processing here is top-notch.

I am with the "Opening Night" camp too!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thanks everybody!! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    edited August 19, 2009
    Well that was fast.. I see you put her up there already...eek7.gif

I did not make it back around in time.. Sorry about that...

Looks great and best of luck to you...I bet it feels good to be finished..:Dthumb.gif

Kat
    edited August 21, 2009
    Title question:

Instead of "Opening Night", what about

"You ain't never had a friend like me (opening night)"

or

"The Genie (opening night)"

??
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Personally, I love the title as is: Opening Night. Short, simple, and really conveys the message of the image, which is fabulous, btw! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited August 21, 2009
    Diva,

I think you made a good point in the beginning. This is a tough one and it is difficult to avoid the title issue using open..

However, if you want to go with something different, perhaps,

The Starlet

The Performer

Stage Diva

Drama Queen

Jr. Diva

and then the (opening night) to the side like you have suggested here..

hope that helps.. ne_nau.gif

Kat