Options

Safari 4.0.3 vs Slideshow?

egoregor Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited August 18, 2009 in Bug Reporting
Greetings:

I noticed, sometime after updating to Safari 4.0.3, that the Slideshow button in my galleries no longer works. The button still works when I view the sites in Firefox.

In Safari 4.0.3, it tries to open the slideshow, fails, and instead jumps to my smugmug home page. I tested the situation on both my Macs (both running Safari 4.0.3), and it happens on each. Is there a way to work around this so Safari visitors can still view a slideshow, if they want?

Any of my links, accessed with Safari 4.0.3, illustrate the problem. Here's a quick link to a random gallery:

http://photos.ultrasomething.com/gallery/7371134_LjbqG#479809192_KRCcq

-egor

photos.ultrasomething.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    For some reason, when a browser is upgraded, the Adobe flash installation doesn't always get hooked up properly to the new version. I'd suggest reinstalling Adobe flash. It only takes a minute or two here to see if that's the issue.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Hi:

I actually tried that before posting... but just to be sure, I reinstalled flash again (both Macs). Same problem... in Safari 4.0.3, clicking the Slideshow button tries to open the slideshow, then bounces to the homepage... Firefox works fine.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Works for me with latest Safari ne_nau.gif

Check your Safari preferences and make sure you have all the right stuff enabled.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    egor wrote:
    Greetings:

I noticed, sometime after updating to Safari 4.0.3, that the Slideshow button in my galleries no longer works. The button still works when I view the sites in Firefox.

In Safari 4.0.3, it tries to open the slideshow, fails, and instead jumps to my smugmug home page. I tested the situation on both my Macs (both running Safari 4.0.3), and it happens on each. Is there a way to work around this so Safari visitors can still view a slideshow, if they want?

Any of my links, accessed with Safari 4.0.3, illustrate the problem. Here's a quick link to a random gallery:

-egor

I see what you're talking about. Your full screen slideshow won't play for me either in Safari 4.0.3. My gallery full screen slideshows do play in Safari 4.0.3 so it must have something to do with your customization.

If I go to http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7371134_LjbqG#479809192_KRCcq which is the same gallery, but without your customization, I find that the full screen slideshow does work, confirming it must be something to do with your customizations. This is a wild guess, but if I were you'd I'd try removing this customization from your top javascript and see if makes a difference:
    //====================
    // Turn slideshow captions ON by default
    //====================

addEvent(window, "load", enableSlideshowOptions);

function enableSlideshowOptions()
    {
      if (YD.hasClass(document.body, "fsSlideshow"))
      {
        document.getElementById("captions").click();
      }
    }

--John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I see what you're talking about. Your full screen slideshow won't play for me either in Safari 4.0.3. <snip> This is a wild guess, but if I were you'd I'd try removing this customization from your top javascript and see if makes a difference: <snip>

Thanks, John:

Per your recommendation, I commented out the suggested code, but the slideshow still fails to launch...

One of the 'problems' with being a longtime Smugmug user is that, on occasion, Smugmug advances and breaks my creaky old mods... but I can't see what else might be causing the problem. The only other slideshow-related mod that I see is a slideshow duration parameter, which I also commented out (are these mods even necessary any more)?

In any event, still no go... What could Apple have done with the latest version of Safari to make it hostile to my site? I'm open for anything.

-egor
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    One more thing... when I visit that link you sent with Safari 4.0.3, the fullscreen slideshow still won't run... crashing and returning me to my smugmug homescreen... hmm...

-egor
  • Options
    iMaciMac Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2009
    egor wrote:
    Greetings:

Here's a quick link to a random gallery:

-egor

This above works for me using Safari 4.03, a little slower to load than say this one

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/73711...79809192_KRCcq

But both work fine for me using Safari 4.03
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    egor wrote:
    One more thing... when I visit that link you sent with Safari 4.0.3, the fullscreen slideshow still won't run... crashing and returning me to my smugmug homescreen... hmm...

-egor
    I don't know. It works for some, not for others. I'd suggest filing a report in the bug reporting forum and see how they respond.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Safari 4.03 (latest) your slideshow at your custom name totally crashes for me, but if I remove all your code by using this url it works fine:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7371134_LjbqG#479809192_KRCcq

Safari doesn't like something in your dropdown code, your css, or your Javascript. I'm very sorry that I do not know what it is :(
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'd suggest filing a report in the bug reporting forum and see how they respond.
    It's not a SmugMug bug, as the Slideshow works perfectly in Safari when we remove his customization.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It's not a SmugMug bug, as the Slideshow works perfectly in Safari when we remove his customization.
    It's too early to say that there is zero responsibility from Smugmug. It depends upon what is causing the problem. It could be something causing it that is entirely supported and supposed to work. We need to figure out what is causing it, then a decision can be made about whether it's anything Smugmug should fix or not. Is it probably his/her own issue in his customization, yes. Is it for sure, his/her own issue with nothing Smugmug should fix, no.

As for diagnosing the issue further, I think you should back up all your current customizations via the email button and then you're going to have to remove one chunks of your customization at a time until you find out which chunk makes the problem go away. Then you can put everything back and remove a smaller chunk of that piece until you find out which exact piece is causing the problem.

Post back when you figure out what is causing it and we can then have a discussion about whether it's something Smugmug should fix or not.
    --John
    HomepagePopular