edited August 20, 2009 in Holy Macro
Thanks for looking and for your input.

260714791_ashjV-L.jpg
Chip

ad astra per aspera

Comments

• cadredcadred Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I dig it for the composition. I wish there was a tad more contrast with the stamen, but overall I dig it :)
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    cadred wrote:
    I dig it for the composition. I wish there was a tad more contrast with the stamen, but overall I dig it :)

Thanks! I can try to mess with that.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I have done a lot of flowers over the past year, and I think the main choice is how much DOF you want. Under natural light, handheld, you are pretty much stuck with a small area in focus, as you have. Some people like that, particularly if there is one part of the flower they want to draw attention to. The other option (apart from flash) is to cut the flower, put it indoors, and use a tripod, either with natural light or artificial light. That lets you use a long exposure and a small aperture for greater DOF. With my macro lens, the degredation from diffraction, if you shut the lens down, is pretty minor. Here is one I did that way, with natural light but on my kitchen table:

498633502_RJ8cq-L.jpg
    edited August 17, 2009
    paddler4 wrote:
    I have done a lot of flowers over the past year, and I think the main choice is how much DOF you want. Under natural light, handheld, you are pretty much stuck with a small area in focus, as you have. Some people like that, particularly if there is one part of the flower they want to draw attention to. The other option (apart from flash) is to cut the flower, put it indoors, and use a tripod, either with natural light or artificial light. That lets you use a long exposure and a small aperture for greater DOF. With my macro lens, the degredation from diffraction, if you shut the lens down, is pretty minor. Here is one I did that way, with natural light but on my kitchen table:

498633502_RJ8cq-L.jpg

Thanks Paddler!

That was actually shot handheld at the Dallas Arboretum and the flower was... alive and well, and planted outside. No way for me to take it indoors. :-)

I employ the technique that you describe above to shoot watches and it works rather well.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    SLRdude - I like the composition in your shot. It's tough to make a flower pic not look like just another flower pic. You did a good job.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I like, especially the way the tip is thrusting forward. You capture the essence.
    I suppose people will have technical comments but I believe you will have this one in your favourites for a while.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I like it
    For a hand held, outside, it's remarkable. What really sets it apart for me though is the wonderful deep background in the upper left. Very pleasing shot.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thanks guys!

It was taken at Dallas Arboretum last year, with my D50.
    The lens was a 105 macro that I borrowed from a friend.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
    edited August 20, 2009
    Icebear wrote:
    For a hand held, outside, it's remarkable. What really sets it apart for me though is the wonderful deep background in the upper left. Very pleasing shot.

The blue background is made up of other flowers. If I remember correctly, it was pansies.

Those here actually....

(this pic is not very interesting though)

260708044_2Vv45-L.jpg
    Chip

ad astra per aspera