A view from our Western past

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
If we would have lived say, 150 years ago, we would have seen images like this as common. Too bad they are rare indeed today.
Randy

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Love it.

#1 is so cool... Perhaps it is my monitor, but the haze in the upper left leaves a faint trace of a face looking there. Fantastic.... Let me know if you see it there as well.

#2. Majestic.
    #3. Didn't work as well for me. The right side (as I look) of the Bison's face merges into the grass a bit too much for my taste.
    #4. Wonderful. I think the reason the grass to hair-highlight doesn't bother me here is that the shape of the head remains fully in tact.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Love it.

#1 is so cool... Perhaps it is my monitor, but the haze in the upper left leaves a faint trace of a face looking there. Fantastic.... Let me know if you see it there as well.

#2. Majestic.
    #3. Didn't work as well for me. The right side (as I look) of the Bison's face merges into the grass a bit too much for my taste.
    #4. Wonderful. I think the reason the grass to hair-highlight doesn't bother me here is that the shape of the head remains fully in tact.

Thanks Andrew.

Try as I may, I can't put a face in the haze ne_nau.gif

I'll agree also on #3 & #4 for that matter. They're not great images, but I included them to add some context.

This is a very large ranch in Colorado & they have a huge (several hundred head) herd of buffalo. It always stops me in my tracks to see them as pictured. This is a scene that countless Native Americans must have seen & counted on for their way of life.

Standing there taking in the view transports me back in time.

I appreciate your detailed comments. thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 17, 2009
    Mind if I pull down the image and mark what I see?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Mind if I pull down the image and mark what I see?

Go for it...
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Buffalos are such awesome animals.....big and thunderous are the two words I alway think of when I see them. Wouldn't if have been wonderful to see 1000's of them roaming the prairie long ago :D

Oh yeah...#1 is my favorite. So is the last one. I might clip the grass alittle by the eye tho. Very good photos thumb.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Howdy Randy
    It sure is nice to see the American Bison in it's native habitat. I saw one the other day at a nature preserve near here. They are quite an impressive animal.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 18, 2009
    Here are two left halves where I jammed the levels and contrast an then highlighted the curves that I saw in the mist....

Let me know if I need to get some therapy....

rwells bison face.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Here are two left halves where I jammed the levels and contrast an then highlighted the curves that I saw in the mist....

rwells bison face.jpg

Now I see it :D I was looking further to upper left corner.
    edited August 18, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Now I see it :D I was looking further to upper left corner.

Good. Now we just need to see if we need group therapy...:D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 18, 2009
    #1 works best for me except that I suggest less foreground is needed. A 6 x 4 crop, full width and retain the top, seems to work nicely. I think the broader aspect ratio also yields a better feeling of expansiveness. I love how the mountains provide both framing and setting.

I bet this looks good printed large. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Good. Now we just need to see if we need group therapy...:D

Yeah...maybe we should check into that rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 18, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Buffalos are such awesome animals.....big and thunderous are the two words I alway think of when I see them. Wouldn't if have been wonderful to see 1000's of them roaming the prairie long ago :D

Oh yeah...#1 is my favorite. So is the last one. I might clip the grass alittle by the eye tho. Very good photos thumb.gif

Yeah, it's pretty awesome to see the hundreds of buffalo all scattered along the mountains thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 18, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howdy Randy
    It sure is nice to see the American Bison in it's native habitat. I saw one the other day at a nature preserve near here. They are quite an impressive animal.

And don't forget ~ quite mean tempered too! I've seen them chase motorcycles in Yellowstone. That would get your attention rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment Jack.
    Randy
    edited August 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:

rwells bison face.jpg

Andrew,

I was holding out hope for you, but I'm sending some cards with ink splotches and a nice friendly doctors name rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited August 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    #1 works best for me except that I suggest less foreground is needed. A 6 x 4 crop, full width and retain the top, seems to work nicely. I think the broader aspect ratio also yields a better feeling of expansiveness. I love how the mountains provide both framing and setting.

I bet this looks good printed large. thumb.gif

I'll give that crop a try, thanks for the suggestion Ziggy thumb.gif
    Randy