#31 - No Lines

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm interested in initial feedback before I spend any more time on this image. I have 2 other options but haven't started the post work on them.

Is this theme worthy? Composition? :dunno

622629421_wBxqC-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    It certainly pops with the color. The only sense of open or closed I get is the sign,which shows it is certainly closed but it does not get your attention right away due to the bright busy colors. Contrast seems to fade or dull from bottom to top.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    It certainly pops with the color. The only sense of open or closed I get is the sign,which shows it is certainly closed but it does not get your attention right away due to the bright busy colors. Contrast seems to fade or dull from bottom to top.
    15524779-Ti.gif I wonder if you were to do a selection of the sign and keep it bright in color and tone down the rest by fading them to more muted colors. Also brighten up that top to get rid of the darker contrast in there? Just a suggestion.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:

Hi Christopher,

I have to agree with Chris K. on this one. The idea of "closed" is not obvious enough.

- maybe you can take a closer shot, or find another subject...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I lke JAG's idea about the color selection on the sign leaving the rest in BW or other desaturated condition. It is just to dag gon bright to look closed, needs to be more foreboding as Kerry was stating in the original theme description.
    Need some big flames from the great popcorn fire coming out of the roof:D sorry I was getting carried away.

I had a shot of 2 brand new car dealers that had closed recently, but could not get the feeling of loss or abandonment from the shots although they look closed, it did not have any emotion
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thanks guys!!
    You guys are too great! Thanks for the speedy feedback.

This was one of those grand ideas that was near impossible (for me) to execute. I went to the State Fair this AM bright and early before the public arrived. I thought it would be neat to photograph the midway area when it is empty, no people - a huge contrast to what to we normally see.

And I agree with everyone's comments. The colors here are too bright to really give a feeling that this is closed. I have several shots with the vast expanse of midway emptiness but there is too much visual clutter.

BTW, this is an HDR, and I actually added the "closed" sign in post.rolleyes1.gif

On to idea #2!
    - Christopher
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Hi Christopher,

I want this one to work so bad.. I know it does not, but I have to at least say, I love the colors.. At first glance, I thought you were shooting for "open" because of all the inviting colors and yummy treats, then I saw the closed sign.. so I agree with what everyone else said, but I still like the shot by itself outside of it being an entry... I think it is a keeper if you can work on the dark grid up top..

Where you using a lens filter here perhaps?

Nice Shot; loving that tile floor..rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I thought it was for 'open' also because of the brightness of it and the 2 huge open-looking window areas. And then I saw the sign. Not sure that doesn't work, but it would need to be played up. I realize I'm redundant to others' more practiced opinions here. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. :)
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Christopher,

I want this one to work so bad.. I know it does not, but I have to at least say, I love the colors.. At first glance, I thought you were shooting for "open" because of all the inviting colors and yummy treats, then I saw the closed sign.. so I agree with what everyone else said, but I still like the shot by itself outside of it being an entry... I think it is a keeper if you can work on the dark grid up top..

Where you using a lens filter here perhaps?

Nice Shot; loving that tile floor..rolleyes1.gif

Kat

I've looked at this image so much and worked on it so much that I think I REALLY hate it now!rolleyes1.gif Nope, no filter, just a little HDR with Photomaxtix. Yeah, that darn dark grid....that's a result of the HDR conversion because the originals look just fine. I'm still new to the HDR software - it's probably the way I tone mapped it. ne_nau.gif
    - Christopher
    edited August 18, 2009
    kds1 wrote:
    I thought it was for 'open' also because of the brightness of it and the 2 huge open-looking window areas. And then I saw the sign. Not sure that doesn't work, but it would need to be played up. I realize I'm redundant to others' more practiced opinions here. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. :)

Thanks Kara for chiming in!
    - Christopher
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Could you crop it to just the one side, so the closed sign is more prominent? What is nice about the theme is everything in the picture except the sign says 'open' -- all the stuff is there to see.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Could you crop it to just the one side, so the closed sign is more prominent? What is nice about the theme is everything in the picture except the sign says 'open' -- all the stuff is there to see.

Hi Andrew - funny, I was playing around with some of those state fair images today, mostly to experiment with LR presets, etc. Now this darn image is starting to grow on me because everything screams "open" but that tiny sign says "closed".

I've got to fix that dark gradient issue. Was wondering if it would be best to dodge/burn or to use some sort of gradient in CS4?? You all would scream if you saw the workflow for this image.....it's probably so degraded and mucked up at this point. eek7.gif

Anyway, just for fun, here are a few of those shots - I was worried that the colors weren't bright enough... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

624314367_wCMDe-M.jpg

And I sort of like the vast emptiness in this one.....

624315746_Eneiz-M.jpg
    - Christopher
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I think they are plenty neon, almost unreal until you account for it being a carnival...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site