Mom & son at the park

ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in People
Had a chance to shoot my neice and her son at the park the other morning. Tried my Sigma 70-200 2.8. C&C welcome
NOTE: my hat is off to all you who work with toddlers!! wow been too long since mine was that age - they are moving, talking and looking everywhere!!
620123678_Hg3Vp-L.jpg

620048922_VzC5z-L.jpg

620892963_pU8o4-L.jpg

622261503_vm6mV-L.jpg
Amanda
It is never to late to become what you might have been.
www.behindthezoom.com

Comments

• frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Those are quite good, I like the second and especially the third one best... lighting and color looks great clap.gif
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Well Done!!
    My vote is # 3 also.clap.gif
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thank you!! She really like them. I was also playing with the flash exposure compensation which I never have really used.
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    very nice, great colors, great job, yes, toddlers are hard to catch.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • xstartxtodayxxstartxtodayx Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Nice set, he's a cute little kid. I like #2 and #3 the best, his expression is great and just shows how curious he is about his surroundings. I'm hopefully picking up that same lens in the next few days so it's nice to see such nice shots coming from it.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    ilbcnu wrote:
    Had a chance to shoot my neice and her son at the park the other morning. Tried my Sigma 70-200 2.8. C&C welcome
    NOTE: my hat is off to all you who work with toddlers!! wow been too long since mine was that age - they are moving, talking and looking everywhere!!
    [

Call me a curmudgeon - Wait! That's Wil! rolleyes1.gif - But when I look at these images I don't see a Mom and Son at the park, I see photographs of two people, even in the images in which the two people are sitting together. Mom looks to be totally into herself, almost as though she was a model hired to pretend to be a Mom. And, quite honestly, son doesn't look very happy to be with Mom.

But that's just what I see here.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thank you - I really like the lens, can get great bokeh!! One drawback for me is after an hour and half non stop I started to feel the weight of it.
    Here is one showing the background a little more most were shot at f4
    621832298_HAVcR-L.jpg
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
    edited August 18, 2009
    thanks for comments bdcolen, I did have a few more interaction shots- this one was a little soft so I did a treatment to it-
    (I also think I really do need to work on more journalistic - less posed. I am glad you commented as I can see these are lacking in that manner)
    620896267_Por9o-L.jpg

620368165_Vb73P-L.jpg
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Beautiful set! I just love that lens....(on my what to buy next list)

I love the colors and the beautiful toddler. thumb.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Call me a curmudgeon - Wait! That's Wil! rolleyes1.gif - But when I look at these images I don't see a Mom and Son at the park, I see photographs of two people, even in the images in which the two people are sitting together. Mom looks to be totally into herself, almost as though she was a model hired to pretend to be a Mom. And, quite honestly, son doesn't look very happy to be with Mom.

But that's just what I see here.

Hey! (you old curmudgeon, you… rolleyes1.gif ) I feel the same about the expression on the kid's face. He's not smiling and he looks somewhat unsure of what is going on.

Oh, there are some more…

I think I'd have cropped like mad, and tried to get the faces closer together, and tighter cropping; there's much in some of the pics that doesn't really add to the picture; for instance I think the one where he's sitting on her lap, doesn't do justice to her legs, in fact it foreshortens them and makes them look short and stumpy eek7.gif (well, that's how they look to me…). I know, it's a picture of him and her, but that being so, I think if it's not necessary to have the legs in the picture then don't have them…

A couple of the later ones look quite nice, and they're both looking into the lens (thumb.gif) and he almost is cracking a smile, but there are some where he's looking as if he's just ate something sour…

Oh, and by the way, I love the earrings! Very nice!

I think the best of the bunch is this one (sorry, I couldn't resist re-cropping… …hope you don't mind, after all I am a curmudgeon thumb.gif )

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    ilbcnu wrote:
    thanks for comments bdcolen, I did have a few more interaction shots- this one was a little soft so I did a treatment to it-
    (I also think I really do need to work on more journalistic - less posed. I am glad you commented as I can see these are lacking in that manner)

These two are definitely better! However...rolleyes1.gif ...Look at the second...and look at Mom...I have to say that I find these fascinating, and really wonder about Mom and her relationship with the child. Frankly, one of the most interesting things about spending time with and shooting families is looking at the images afterwords and seeing things about the family dynamics that I may or may not have been aware of when I was shooting - things the family certainly didn't expect to see in the photographs.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Could it be that he is just one of those serious types. My nephew was that way when he was little, and believe me, he has a wonderful relationship with his mom. I think we can read too much into photos sometimes. Just trying to be cautious before passing judgement.

Was it during naptime? Scared of the camera,... etc.........

Anyway, these are great photos.

quote=bdcolen]
    ilbcnu wrote:

These two are definitely better! However...rolleyes1.gif ...Look at the second...and look at Mom...I have to say that I find these fascinating, and really wonder about Mom and her relationship with the child. Frankly, one of the most interesting things about spending time with and shooting families is looking at the images afterwords and seeing things about the family dynamics that I may or may not have been aware of when I was shooting - things the family certainly didn't expect to see in the photographs.:D
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Very nice work.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
    edited August 19, 2009
    Thank you all for the comments, Just to enlighten the relationship read into the images- he is somewhat of a serious quiet type and I am pretty sure the relationship is very good/happy between them. Mom was a little nervous about how to "pose" or what to do since it wasn't the local JCPe....studio or some other such studio.
    So I guess not making her/them feel more comfortable and show that in the images would be more my fault then thiers. Also, the shoot was an hour and half and those darn ducks kept going somewhere else so not the happiest toddler the whole time....
    Amanda
    www.behindthezoom.com