Options

Prices

SharkShark Registered Users Posts: 282 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in Sports
Has anybody ever taken photos at a sporting event, and had someone ask if they can purchase their kids' photos on a CD, so they can share them with family and friends? Usually I sell prints from the games I shoot. This is the first time anybody has asked me to do this. He said he doesn't really buy prints, he likes the digital images. For some reason it doesn't sit right with me. He said he understands that time and cost of equipment are a huge issue for photographers, and that he doesn't want to insult me with this request, but he'd rather go with a CD. My question is, how much would everybody sell a CD for? Would you even do it? He only wants the photos of his son. He figures there are about 50 images or more of his son.

Does anybody have an idea about prices for CD's? Is there a scale to go by?

Thanks.

Shark
"12 significant photographs in any one year is a good crop".
Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I've sold a few digital images at $10 a pop, which I know isn't enough. But something tells me this guy isn't going to give you $500 for a CD.:D

You could make the images low resolution, so they look OK on a computer screen, but wouldn't reprint well, if he decided to blow a few up.
  • Options
    crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    CD photo
    Shark wrote:
    Has anybody ever taken photos at a sporting event, and had someone ask if they can purchase their kids' photos on a CD, so they can share them with family and friends? Usually I sell prints from the games I shoot. This is the first time anybody has asked me to do this. He said he doesn't really buy prints, he likes the digital images. For some reason it doesn't sit right with me. He said he understands that time and cost of equipment are a huge issue for photographers, and that he doesn't want to insult me with this request, but he'd rather go with a CD. My question is, how much would everybody sell a CD for? Would you even do it? He only wants the photos of his son. He figures there are about 50 images or more of his son.

Thanks.

Shark

You would need to take in consideration of your time spent taking photos. I would say no less than $50.00 for the CD. You could also get a PRO account on SmugMug and make money selling the prints. With SmugMug PRO, you could set your own prices.
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Shark wrote:

Thanks.

Shark
    I am assuming that he has seen your images in your Smug account or he would not believe you have so many. I too have been asked for the "digital" versions and have been trying to figure how to handle it.

What I have been thinking is to just offer the digital download through Smug. I just added Low Res Download to some of my galleries for $15.00 each. I really doubt anyone would get any but it they must insist then there it is and they can turn around and make 50 prints at Wal-mart for .20 each at least you get something per image. I too am really struggling to determine what is a good/fair price.

If they guy wants to buy 50 at just $5.00 each that might be okay but my guess is that at any price he will probably change his mind and only order a few downloads. I can image the guy expecting to get the CD full of images for $15 or $20.

I would really love to hear what you finally decide and how it turns out. So keep us posted if you can and don't mind.

Best of Luck,
    Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Shark wrote:

Thanks.

Shark

Well, if you're worried about him making a lot of prints, I would just make sure you have your watermark on every image on the CD, and the CD label. Just about every 1 hour photo lab will see your watermark, and ask for a copyright release before allowing the prints to be made, or before leaving the lab. If the guy wants cheap, then place a notice on the label on the CD that states something to the fact that "No Copies of this CD may be made, nor prints without a copyright release." Then do not place a copyright release file on the CD, nor give him a printed version of one. If he wants to make copies of the CD or make prints, charge him extra for that right. If he pays extra for the right, then add the copyright release. But I would explain to him up front what he is allowed to do with the CD, and bring to his attention your notice on the CD label at time of delivery.

From my experience of working in a 1 hour photo lab, most people think that if they bought a photo, or a CD with photos, they have the right to do whatever they want with them. I take the time to explain both sides of the copyright law (from the photographers side, and the implications of being caught - what it would cost them, and the photo lab). Some will understand and say shred them or will say they will try and get a copyright release, while others will get irate and walk off, or go complain to management.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Back in 2003 when I was racing shifter karts there was an outfit from Dallas photographing the races. I bought a CD-ROM off him of all shots of that weekend for $75. Hi-res files, small copyright notice on the bottom right corner. In 2008 I was running my Honda S2000 at a track event at Texas World Speedway. Again, bought a CD-ROM of all images of me that weekend, about the same price. Hi-res files delivered via mail on CD-ROM. Ditto when I went to Hallett in Oklahoma. When I was shooting karts and motocross I had a CD-ROM option setup on my Exposure Manager account as a self-fulfill product, and I was surprised by how seldom people chose that. Or even individual file downloads. This November I'm photographing a track day myself and will offer CD-ROMs for a price I have yet to determine. This is in addition to prints via either Smugmug or Exposure Manager.

I never considered buying prints of myself, I only wanted the digital images.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I used to not want to do this. I didn't want them botching my images. But I changed my practice because the times are a changing. What I don't do is sell individual files. I sell a cd/dvd for the whole game. Same price whether I'm covering 1 kid or the whole team. And, the other part that's good - I get to keep the 15% I'd be paying to smugmug if parents just ordered prints.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Shark wrote:
    I was always comfortable paying around $75 myself, when I was the customer. When I was the photographer I was usually happy getting that figure. Some might balk at how low the cost-per-image works out being when you do this though. I got about 30 images of myself at Texas World Speedway, or less than $3 per hi-res image. Some photographers have argued to price digital files at 1X or 2X an 8x12 print, but no way was I going to pay several hundred for a CD-ROM, and I never had the nerve to charge that either. :) I consider it volume pricing. If they want one digital file, $25. If they want everything I have of them, volume discount. My normal workflow usually made it easy to find all their pictures to start with. I would not spend an inordinate amount of time on post-processing, usually applying a batch of edits to the entire set. In other words it wasn't a ton of work for me to locate and edit all their images.

It was also my experience that what you really want to do is provide for sale something other than a photograph. Collages and custom posters are great up-sells. Or putting an event name and date on the bottom in decorative text. Or fancy post-processing or photo-illustration techniques. A straight photograph has only limited value compared to items like that.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I would charge $100 based on your description. However, only your experience and quality will dictate your price.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thanks to everybody
    Wow, thanks to everybody with all your choices, options, and suggestions. I will read them all again and make a decision for myself. I was kind of leaning towards $75 for the CD before I posted the question. I'll have to decide soon. I will let you all know what I come up with, and if it's accepted.
    Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

Shark
    Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Gringriff wrote:
    I would really love to hear what you finally decide and how it turns out. So keep us posted if you can and don't mind.

Best of Luck,
    Andy

Hey Everybody,
    I have made a decision on the request from a parent who wants a photo CD of his son playing during the Little League All-Star Tournament. I wanted to come back on and let you all know how I handled it. I told the parent that I did alot of thinking, consulted my photographic colleagues, checked out a few sites that offered photo C.D's and told him the price I came up with is $75. I then told him why I arrived at this price, and what the reasons were. I received an e-mail back from him saying that it is a very fair price, and that he would like to do it.
    So all in all, everybody is happy with the arrangement.
    Once again, thanks to everybody here for all your suggestions and help, in trying to figure out if this was something I wanted to do or not.

Shark
    Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Shark wrote:
    I received an e-mail back from him saying that it is a very fair price, and that he would like to do it.
    So all in all, everybody is happy with the arrangement.
    Very nicely done! Congratulations. Hopefully, he can spread the word and other parents will want the same deal.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135