Water Drops (2x)

kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
A couple of entries for my local photo group challenge......... Abstract.

620364562_L6vdx-XL.jpg

620362003_gLxPh-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments are always welcomed.... good, bad or indifferent.
I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Very cool. I love the shapes that water produces! What are the colors produced by, solids showing through the water, or lights on neutral surfaces?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Really interesting and good thumb.gif Love the color. The water looks so controlled almost like you may of used something other then water...like karo syrup.

Hope you wouldn't mind sharing how you did this :D
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Wow, these are awesome. Very nicely done. How long did it take to get the shot right?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Very cool. I love the shapes that water produces! What are the colors produced by, solids showing through the water, or lights on neutral surfaces?
    Thanks Andrew.
    Really interesting and good thumb.gif Love the color. The water looks so controlled almost like you may of used something other then water...like karo syrup.

Hope you wouldn't mind sharing how you did this :D
    Thanks Mary.
    Wow, these are awesome. Very nicely done. How long did it take to get the shot right?
    Thanks Kinkajou

I'm an old hippie so getting the colors was easy enough.... just pull one of my tie-dyed tee shirts out of the drawer. I just had to rig it so the colors I wanted were at the right level. I set-up in the (very small) second bathroom.

Firstly, I filled a clear bowl and filled with water to the brim and placed it on a two-step ladder (later I discovered the black top of the step was giving me undesired results, so I placed a light colored towel under the bowl).

Okay, so how was I going to get the drops to fall in a controlled spot in the bowl. After several failed attempts of hand holding, I bungeed a water bottle at the end of a reflector arm on a lightstand.

Lighting was three SB's bounced from different directions....... many attempts for direction and power via Nikon CLS.

I used the D700 with 105mm f/2.8 lens on a tripod with remote shutter release. Shooting height was slightly above the rim of the bowl. I used the toothbrush (no longer in service) to get my focal point within the bowl of water. Then it was a matter of squeeze the bottle, squeeze the remote...... over and over and over. If the water bottle had been on a more rigid fixture, rather than the bungee cord, I think the success rate would have been greatly increase. The DoF was quite thin and the back and forth of my squeezing the bottle was frustrating. I had some wonderful imagery, but alas, out of DoF.

Settings were f/13, 1/200s, ISO200 and the lens was ~1.75:1 macro ratio.

Here's the set-up.

623210377_UbUcN-XL.jpg

Thanks again for commenting.
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Great shots. Thanks for the setup info!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    This is very appealing work.You deserve to get good results from all the setup trouble you went to....but even then, it takes skill to get the pictures you ended up with. Very well done.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    excellent shots, love the colors and really like the 1.75 ratio. clap.gif
    Devin
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Excellent shots!

I've not done this myself, but wondering if it would be possible to rig the water bottle with tiny holes top & bottom, to facilitate an automatic, constant drip. Maybe use a bit of tape on the top side hole, to temporarily stop the air and flow.

I'm going to have to try this setup sometime. The last time I tried something like this was in high school. Used milk and a single flash which was manually triggered to "freeze" the drop. Did it in a darkish room to use the lowest (fastest) flash output. With film it was tough to know what you got until much later.... rolleyes1.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thank you for sharing how you did this clap.gif I'm going to try it, but I don't have any lights so I'll have to improvise some. Gives me a good reason to tie-dye a shirt...haven't done that since the late 60's rolleyes1.gif
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
  • Phil TompsonPhil Tompson Banned Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Great work! Thank you for posting the pic of how you did the shot. Very nice!