Canon 580 EX Speedlight
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
SanDisk Ultra IIs

Comments

• hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    I put the pick in the strings to break it up a little, but it seems to detract from the whole.

Does it?ne_nau.gif
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Nice picthumb.gif The pick doesn't bother me but two things do. First the reflection in the wood, maybe try cloning out. Also the upper right with the wood and the strings running through it seems kinda soft or out of focus. As for is it worthy, that will remain to be seen. With no theme I'd be willing to bet this will be THE hardest challenge. Maybe somewhat easy to shot but it's going to be tough going making the top ten and even tougher winning. I think that the pic will not only have to be stunning but spot on in every technical way. These are just my opinions take them as you will.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    How do I get the EXIF data so I can post it? I took this pic a few minutes ago. Is it worthy?

In Photoshop Click 'File- File info' then look for the relevant part

Date, and maybe camera settings

Good luck

Stan
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Very worthy
    Very worthy, but I agree with the other reply. Is there someway you can remove the reflection on the woodgrain of the geetar? Do that and I think you go from a 9 up to a 10. The detail in the woodgrain seems most pronounced in the part that is being consumed by the reflection.

Please excuse me if I screwed this reply up in anyway. First time and all.
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    How do I get the EXIF data so I can post it? I took this pic a few minutes
    ago. Is it worthy?
    nice! I like the whole concept and colors...but...

If you are going to reshoot it...my eye went to the vertical lines. The vertical lines on the amp are tilted slightly...and the strings also are tilted. Personally, I'd like to see the vertical and horizontal lines on the amp be parallel to the edge of the image. Then, I'd either place the guitar so the strings are parallel to the edge of the photo OR really tilt it. I think the combination of having 90 degree parallel lines in the amp and the guitar strings matched with the beautiful curve of the guitar would be really nice. I have no opinion on the guitar pick, I like that it adds another color, but it does get lost. Maybe placing it somewhere else? top 3rd of the guitar?

Adrienne :-)
    edited June 29, 2005
    Fender2.jpg

Here is a better shot. The pic was distracting to me, I dunno why. Getting the lines parallel to the edge is hard as crap, but I got it better this time. I shot this outside at dusk.

EXIF
    Orientation: Normal
    X Resolution 72.0
    Y Resolution 72.0
    Resolution Unit Inches
    Software Adobe Photoshop 7.0
    Date Time 2005:06:29 22:17:02
    EXIF Color Space Uncalibrated
    Pixel Y Dimension 800
    Pixel X Dimension 575
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • MDiverMDiver Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2005
    I think that the second shot is much better without the pick and without the reflection on the guitar. Did you have the guitar really leaning when you took the shot, I'm just thinking that if you had the guitar pretty much vertical it may be easier to get the strings going straight up and down without out twisting or rotating the actual photo.
    edited June 30, 2005
    MDiver wrote:
    I think that the second shot is much better without the pick and without the reflection on the guitar. Did you have the guitar really leaning when you took the shot, I'm just thinking that if you had the guitar pretty much vertical it may be easier to get the strings going straight up and down without out twisting or rotating the actual photo.
    The glossy finish is hard to deal with because its like a mirror. If the position of the guitar is straight enough to get the luminescence, the reflection is awful. I have the guitar at kind of an angle in the second one.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    I personally like the refliveness in the 1st shot and the strings show up alot better, although the unlevel lines in the amp and guitar strings bug me a little, otherwise a fantastic shot imo. The 2nd shot you did a great job on the amp lines but unfortunately the guitar strings are still off, i know vertical lines are a royal pain to deal with. Tilting the guitar quite a bit as Eric suggested would remedy that nicely, but it may also cause undesireable results in the overall composition, experiment and see what works. I like the composition alot as is.

Best regards,
    douglas
    Best regards,
    douglas
    edited June 30, 2005
    Number 4

The strings are not going to be perpendicular to the lines in the grille and at right angles with the frets. I have almost 200 shots of this set up, and not one is just right.

Talk about frustrationrolleyes1.gif

Fender3.jpg
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited July 1, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    Number 4

The strings are not going to be perpendicular to the lines in the grille and at right angles with the frets. I have almost 200 shots of this set up, and not one is just right.

Talk about frustrationrolleyes1.gif
    Sthe crop tool in PS, clear the scale boxes, select the entire picture, click the perspective box on the toolbar, move the middle dots on the crop to a line on the guitar and adjust the corners so the crop line matches the line of the string. Then move the middle back out until the corner is back in the corner, click tick and the perspective will correct.

Stan
    edited July 1, 2005
    Oh Sweet!

Thanks for the tip, Ill dance at your wedding ;)
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
    edited July 1, 2005
    hesaias wrote:
    Oh Sweet!

Thanks for the tip, Ill dance at your wedding ;)
    Yes but I prefer the angle on the strings, it gives a greater perspective of depth, so it is not so 2 dimentionalne_nau.gif

Stan
    edited July 1, 2005
    I kinda like the straightness, but the perspective tool skews the amp grille a little. Such is life :DFender4.jpg
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    I like the 2nd shot of the guitar with the red curve against the textured area. I do think it has more potential and you could make it a stronger shot. This is my take on it, I am better at showing than explaining.