Changing Time taken.

hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Cameras
I am finishing my trip here in Anaheim and i have just realized that i did not change the time on my camera =(. is there any way to change this as a batch when i get home?

I will be returning home tommorow, and would love to be able to get the correct local time on my pictures.

Thanks, there must be some simple way to do this. I apologige if there is a thread on this already
Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
Flickr
Smugmug

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    If you took JPG files, there are a whole host of option. Google is your friend in this. I tried "edit jpeg exif data" and got quite a few promising hits.

On the other hand, if you shot RAW, I think I would leave well enough alone. So what if you have a couple or three hour translation. However, google again to the rescue - try "canon cr2 exif editor" for a couple or three hits that look promising.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    ExifTool is the most comprehensive tool for modifying EXIF Data.

You can modify the capture times by one hour of all files in a given dir using the following command:

exiftool -AllDates+=1:00 *.jpg

Be sure to make a backup of all files first and read the manual a bit :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • LongStreetLongStreet Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    ExifTool rocks!! Especially when used with the ExifToolGUI front end.
    Tony Juliano
    LongStreet Photography
    Pics - www.LongStreetPhotography.com
    Personal - www.TonyJuliano.com
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Do you have lightroom? If so, you can batch edit all of your photos using the "time zone adjust" feature which allows you to bumb all of your photos up or down a certain number of hours, I think it was plus or minus 12, maybe 24. Anyway, you can do this multiple times as well so if you need to move it 72 hours for example, just hit the photos a few times with the tool.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Do you have lightroom? If so, you can batch edit all of your photos using the "time zone adjust" feature which allows you to bumb all of your photos up or down a certain number of hours, I think it was plus or minus 12, maybe 24. Anyway, you can do this multiple times as well so if you need to move it 72 hours for example, just hit the photos a few times with the tool.

Cool, I didn't know about this possibility thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hey thanks guys, I just got back last night and i'm just about to try that time zone adjust with lightroom. I'll tell you how it goes.
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009

I totally used this feature a couple weeks ago. I shot my 8/8/09 wedding and had just gotten a new 5D Mark II (I now own 2) and had synced my two 5D Mark II's to the same time... well except for one exception. I accidently set the new camera to 8/8/08 and so it was a whole year off from the other 5D MkII. So I used the lightroom function to set the entire batch that were at 2008 to 2009. Worked like a charm :) Great feature
  • hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Hey thanks guys it worked like a charm, sorry for the late reply not much time for pictures lately :(:
    Flickr
    Smugmug