iris in August

chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in Holy Macro
My first macro in the forum. I hope you like it :D620535969_dbDaU-XL.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Too busy and it's not an iris. Some kind of daisy...

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Too busy and it's not an iris. Some kind of daisy...

Don

Thanks for the feedback. No excuse - but it was shot from the hand when the wind was gusting. In my mind it was a busy moment. May also explain why you think it is a daisy.

never mind, I like it :)
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Wind or no, those are not irises!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I don't mind the shot. I like the color against the dark background. But it's not macro.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I like the sense of the wind blowing the flowers to give it a dynamic feel to the photo. I also think you nailed the focus point.

Thanks for sharing.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Not an iris, for sure. Maybe some kind of rudbekia. Or maybe not. It looks a little bit like this:

442746327_czzKk-M.jpg
    which is a prairie eye rudbekia. No matter.

I personally don't get into the 'how much magnification counts as macro' argument. The point is to get an interesting, pleasing image. I enjoy the highly magnified images that are posted here, but I also enjoy close-ups like this too, and I'm glad you posted it here.

There are a lot of things I like in this image: the composition, the contrasting colors, and the bent petals, which capture the wind. In the ideal world, I would have preferred more DOF, to get the center of the left-most flower more in focus, but I know how hard it has to nail that when the wind is blowing. I think it was Scott Kelby who said that a pleasant breeze is a macro photographer's enemy, or some such.

The angle from the side is a key part of the composition, but I have to admit that it leaves me wanting to peer over the top to see the critter perched on the middle flower.

Dan
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    It is a little busy and those don't look like iris's, but I really like the concept. Great focus, like the dark BG, very little blur considering the moving subject. Maybe you could reshoot?

You could also clone out the flowers in the background easily (if you're into that sourt of thing).