Cloth Backdrops anyone?

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited August 25, 2009 in Technique
Hi!
I need reviews/advise please, from those who have used backdrops. I have a black cloth backdrop; but since I am on location, and transported in a bag, it is all wrinkled when I use it. I then spend time smoothing the wrinkles in post. I have seamless paper which I love, but transporting bigger than 43' really not good. I am thinking of using white cloth backdrops, but really don't want to spend too much time in post removing the wrinkles.. Any suggestion?

Thank you!
GG

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 18, 2009
    Muslin is a fabric which is durable enough to withstand the rigors of photography and, if stored properly, does not need too much preparation prior to the shoot.

I've used high-thread-count black and white sheets for background and they work OK if you put them on a stretcher frame. They do not work well simply draped. They are normally the first things up to give the wrinkles a little time to work out.

Lighting is critical in either case because if the light comes at too strong an angle, any little blemish will show. It's also more difficult to achieve even lighting of the background when the lights are at too strong an angle. A single light, positioned and hidden just behind the subject, can work pretty well but you need a very broad spread if you work in tight quarters. 2-3 lights for background is typical.

Some photographers do use paper background material for a remote and the trick is to cut off what you need from the "master" roll, and then roll what you need onto a second core. The master roll stays in storage and only the needed material goes to the site.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    Hi!
    I need reviews/advise please, from those who have used backdrops. I have a black cloth backdrop; but since I am on location, and transported in a bag, it is all wrinkled when I use it. I then spend time smoothing the wrinkles in post. I have seamless paper which I love, but transporting bigger than 43' really not good. I am thinking of using white cloth backdrops, but really don't want to spend too much time in post removing the wrinkles.. Any suggestion?

Thank you!
    GG

Depending on the size you need you can buy a "pop up" backdrop that is black on one side and white on the other. It is 5x7 I think and folds up into a small round bag. No wrinkles. They have them at b and : for I think $80.00. Works well for on location things like headshots etc....
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Some photographers do use paper background material for a remote and the trick is to cut off what you need from the "master" roll, and then roll what you need onto a second core. The master roll stays in storage and only the needed material goes to the site.[/quote]

Ziggy,

That is a great idea.. That paper i thick though.. what do I cut it with ?ne_nau.gif
    I asked my husband and he didn't know either.
    Thank you!!
    GG
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 18, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    ... That paper i thick though.. what do I cut it with ?ne_nau.gif
    I asked my husband and he didn't know either.
    Thank you!!
    GG

A box cutter or utility knife with a very sharp (or new) blade works well.

I've seen people use a linoleum knife as well. Just make sure the blade is sharp, whatever you use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kernixkernix Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    What is your subject? I was a portrait photographer many moons ago, and I loved using the muslins. And I preferred wrinkles - or more aptly said, the muslin was drapped in such a way as to have folds, wrinkles, bends, etc - with a backlight and some gels, got GREAT back grounds. Would really like to know what your subject(s) is\are.
    James Kernicky
    www.jfk-photo.com
    edited August 22, 2009
    kernix wrote:
    What is your subject? I was a portrait photographer many moons ago, and I loved using the muslins. And I preferred wrinkles - or more aptly said, the muslin was drapped in such a way as to have folds, wrinkles, bends, etc - with a backlight and some gels, got GREAT back grounds. Would really like to know what your subject(s) is\are.

Hi! Thank you all for your suggestions! my customers are mostly families. Some are ok with natural backgrounds ( around their house; their favorite family hangout spot, etc) but other families are more traditional and prefer a "studio" background. So with that said, it could be from 3-6 people. ne_nau.gif So my current paper will not cover that. With 3 it is REALLY tight.

The muslins i have checked out are really expensive but maybe that is the answer a nice one that will not wrinkle as much.

Thanks!
    GG
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Nikolai had a great idea - go and buy bed sheets that are on sale.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited August 22, 2009
    Nikolai had a great idea - go and buy bed sheets that are sale.

Yea. I thought about this. I am actually going to try getting one with a high thread count. It will still have wrinkles but not as much as the one I am using right now. I will just have to place my subjects as far as I can from it; see how it goes..:D

GG
    edited August 22, 2009
    At least with bedding it is easy to maintain. If you are really worried about wrinks you could as ways get a portable steamer (As Seen On TV), that way you take care of the wrinkles onsite.
    Ryan Clemens
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
  • CSR StudioCSR Studio Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Also, carry a portable steamer to steam out whatever wrinkles that you do have. Works really well.
    edited August 23, 2009
    CSR Studio wrote:
    Also, carry a portable steamer to steam out whatever wrinkles that you do have. Works really well.

I am going to have to check out that portable steamer you are all talking about.!
    edited August 24, 2009
    Here's a website that has a few selctions:

http://www.nextag.com/clothes-steamer/search-html
    Ryan Clemens
    edited August 24, 2009
    Here's a website that has a few selctions:

http://www.nextag.com/clothes-steamer/search-html

NIIIIIIIIIIICE. I think I will get this one : Jiffy Steamer ESTEAM Travel Steamers
    seems small enough and got good reviews..AND.. they have it in PINK.. I mean.. C'ON that is MINE! :D

Thanks!
    GG
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Here is something I've been thinking of trying.... http://www.backdropoutlet.com/DIAMOND-CLOTH/products/1246/

John
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited August 25, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Here is something I've been thinking of trying.... http://www.backdropoutlet.com/DIAMOND-CLOTH/products/1246/

John

John, these ones look pretty good! If you end up buying one, please let us know how it works. They seem pretty good in price as well.

GG