Breakfast with Spidey

bretbret Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Holy Macro
I found this guy early this AM finishing off a moth. He ate the whole thing, saving the head for last. I guess that's like dessert for spiders.

116229527original.jpg

This particular spider builds a web every night in the same spot outside my sliding glass door on the back porch. It's hard to photograph without a cluttered background so I taped a piece of blue construction paper to the window behind the web for a studio backdrop effect.
Duct tape and construction paper .... the cornerstone of every good photo kit.
I even experimented using different colors, but liked this result the best.

Also, I tried doing some focus stacking for increased DOF so this pic is actually a composite of about 5 images. You can see where the web gets a little sloppy in some spots. I just stacked the shots manually using layer masking in Photoshop.

I used two flashes for this shot. The on-camera flash was bounced off the ceiling above while an off-camera flash provided most of the light.
The difficulty was in holding the camera in the right places since I wasn't using a tripod. I really need to get some focusing rails!

Canon 5D2, 65mm MP-E Macro
1/100, f/16, ISO 800

-bret

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Great stack, but I'm not in love with the blue. I would think that the background would be too far out of focus to be distracting, no?
  • bretbret Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    jpc wrote:
    I would think that the background would be too far out of focus to be distracting, no?

You'd think so, but since the spider is only a few inches away it is still distracting. To me, anyway.

original.jpg
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Good one- stack worked well :)
    Brian V.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I see what you mean. Sometimes underexposing kills the background while using the flash to light the subject. I've had some success with that method.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I'm not crazy about the background either, I think it is unnatural and too uniform. I often use and old picture or poster with some vegetation far out of focus in the background to give it a mottled effect.
    edited August 20, 2009
    jpc wrote:
    I see what you mean. Sometimes underexposing kills the background while using the flash to light the subject. I've had some success with that method.

The problem in this case is that since the background is only a few inches from the subject it is being lit by the flash as well.

I guess I'll have to train Spidey to build his web further from the house.
    :D
    edited August 20, 2009
    Slowhand wrote:
    I'm not crazy about the background either, I think it is unnatural and too uniform. I often use and old picture or poster with some vegetation far out of focus in the background to give it a mottled effect.

That's a good idea. I figured I'd try a solid color for my first attempt to create sort of a green screen effect that can be easily replaced in post-processing.

original.jpg

Ok, maybe not.