Night Watchman

bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in Landscapes
Castle Hill Lighthouse in Newport, RI is arguably one of the most photogenic lighthouse in the state, if not the entire northeast. I captured this a few months back at night.

3831603929_f03aae1b41_b.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Exquisite shot, Bryan! I love the comp, the lighting, the startrails, and the slight graininess...b&w was a beautiful choice. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Wonderful job ! your BWs are very nice clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Beautiful!! I love it!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. The choice for b/w was an afterthought. This image was a lightpainting experiment gone wrong. Turns out, when converted to b/w with Nik Silver, the color cast from the lightpainting really brought out the contrast in the bricks, so I went with it!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Cool concept! I'd prefer a little less on the bottom but this still looks pretty good.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Bryan,

I really like this shot & your processing. Thanks for posting it.
    Randy
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Top to bottom it's a stunning image.
    Some day I want to try and do those star trails.

Peace, g
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated!
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Very nice! I have to ask, though, since I'm working toward some star-trail shots, myself...

What did you use to get the shot? Especially shutter speed, ap, iso, etc.
    Certainly I'll not get something this nice on the first try, but I'd like to cut down on my repetition a little... mwink.gif (I'm thinking to try it with a medium format twin lens in B&W, so my trial and error cycle might be a little long, too...)

Thanks!
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Wow - that really worked well. Excellent shot! Like the choice of a B&W conversion too.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Way to make a great shot out of a bad one. wings.gif This works very well as a b&w!! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    wow, cool foreground captured, the defined bricks on the tower really add to your shot
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
    edited August 19, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Nate- I shot this with a tripod mounted Canon 40d and a Sigma 10-20 lens at 10mm. 513 seconds at f/4.5 ISO 100, in camera noise reduction on, auto white balance. It's easier than you think, this shot was I think my third attempt at star trails.
    NateW wrote:
    Very nice! I have to ask, though, since I'm working toward some star-trail shots, myself...

What did you use to get the shot? Especially shutter speed, ap, iso, etc.
    Certainly I'll not get something this nice on the first try, but I'd like to cut down on my repetition a little... mwink.gif (I'm thinking to try it with a medium format twin lens in B&W, so my trial and error cycle might be a little long, too...)

Thanks!
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Nate- I shot this with a tripod mounted Canon 40d and a Sigma 10-20 lens at 10mm. 513 seconds at f/4.5 ISO 100, in camera noise reduction on, auto white balance. It's easier than you think, this shot was I think my third attempt at star trails.
    Thanks for the info!
    I'll make a few attempts around that exposure level and see what I get.

May I ask: how did you get 513s? (I'm guessing the camera was set to either programmed auto or aperture priority programmed mode... Seems like an odd thing to calculate!)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    very cool shot, great jobclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited August 19, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Thanks for the info!
    I'll make a few attempts around that exposure level and see what I get.

May I ask: how did you get 513s? (I'm guessing the camera was set to either programmed auto or aperture priority programmed mode... Seems like an odd thing to calculate!)

The shutter speed was an experiment. I don't do the math, ever, but that's just me. I took a few test shots at shorter exposures and felt comfy going for that long. Pretty much every picture I take is an experiment! rolleyes1.gif