Plop goes the drop

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was rather happy with how this turned out, but would like to get your feedback - not sure that it is nailed, but I like the what was captured and the other possibilities that I thought of while taking this :)

623419400_dibGc-M.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    It was initially hard to tell if the water had a bubble coming up, or a depression from a drop hitting it. The title and a second look pushed me at the second intepretation. I think the image needs solid DOF on both sides of the depression (IMO).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    It was initially hard to tell if the water had a bubble coming up, or a depression from a drop hitting it. The title and a second look pushed me at the second intepretation. I think the image needs solid DOF on both sides of the depression (IMO).

Would a blurring effect on both sides of the depression be sufficient?
    edited August 18, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Would a blurring effect on both sides of the depression be sufficient?

Don't know, probably not. I think (bear in mind this is me thinking, not knowing) that the image would just look out of focus if you did that, but having crispness on both sides helps the shadows indicate the shape.

Perhaps try playing with the unsharp mask and see what comes of that?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Don't know, probably not. I think (bear in mind this is me thinking, not knowing) that the image would just look out of focus if you did that, but having crispness on both sides helps the shadows indicate the shape.

Perhaps try playing with the unsharp mask and see what comes of that?

You know, I keep messing with it now, and I just cant seem to get it the way I would like it to look - this is most likely my fault as I have not learned PP as of yet.
    edited August 27, 2009
    I came up with these two alternatives - dont think that it hit the mark...

632268715_kpT3k-M.jpg

632268645_pMArR-M.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    I like the blue one thumb.gif As for the sides being sharp to show a depression...I see some sharpness on the blue one on the top and bottom of the water rising up. You could try to rotate it so the sharpness is at the sides, but I don't know if that would even look right.

Another suggestion...keep shooting as you will get one that is "dead on" :D
    edited August 28, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like the blue one thumb.gif As for the sides being sharp to show a depression...I see some sharpness on the blue one on the top and bottom of the water rising up. You could try to rotate it so the sharpness is at the sides, but I don't know if that would even look right.

Another suggestion...keep shooting as you will get one that is "dead on" :D

Thank you for the feedback :)

@adbsgicom - I tried and failed on the sharpness on the green :(
    edited August 28, 2009
    The blue one does seem sharper.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    The blue one does seem sharper.

Thank you :)

But I just could not get that green one to look the way I wanted...I think that I am going to go back and keep shooting :)
    edited August 28, 2009
    Which is odd since they are the same source (or you have an incredibly repeatable drip system). Perhaps some of the blur is most pronounced in the green channel (which is generally pronounced in B&W) so when you cut it out in the blue, you reduced that part of the blur. Just stabbing in the dark here, really. I think you'll spend less time trying to reshoot.... Close your aperture as much as you can to get depth of field.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Which is odd since they are the same source (or you have an incredibly repeatable drip system). Perhaps some of the blur is most pronounced in the green channel (which is generally pronounced in B&W) so when you cut it out in the blue, you reduced that part of the blur. Just stabbing in the dark here, really. I think you'll spend less time trying to reshoot.... Close your aperture as much as you can to get depth of field.

Makes sense to me :) bet you are correct.

I will take that note about closing the F/stop up and see what happens. I am also going to be taking this one with the XTi and a tripod, the others were handheld and with a Canon S3 IS. Which reminds me I need to get a remote - do you guys recommend wired or wireless?