At the Day In Our Life Workshop

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in People
Virginia. Yes, "our" Virginia. (At the cafe in which we are beginning our days.) :D

623437465_ZS3wK-XL.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hey now, it's not nice to tease those of us who could not make it! rolleyes1.gif

Nice image, B.D. I cannot wait to see what everyone comes home with!
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Hey now, it's not nice to tease those of us who could not make it! rolleyes1.gif

Nice image, B.D. I cannot wait to see what everyone comes home with!

Thanks - Nor can I. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Yup, that is me. Perusing one of the beautiful Day in the Life books that B.D. did for a client family.

All I can say is WOW. (Not about the picture, about the book!)

I'll report on the week when it is over. For the moment, I am working on today's assignment and I don't see much sleep in my near future.

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Wheeeeeeeeeeee!! How cool is THAT??!! I'm so jealous.

Have fun and share, share, share the results!! thumb.gif

(PS. V, do you ever get told you look like La Streep? Because in that shot... you do!!)
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Very nice portrait. I would have loved to have made this as well. Virginia, I know how it feels after that first exposure to BD expectations. First class I took from him, he showed us War Photographer, the film about James Nachtwey (highly recommended), and I felt I was going to have to go out and get shot or something in order to make to get a passing grade.

This shot demonstrates something interesting I see in a lot of BD's work. That blown background through the window is inevitable given the lighting and proper exposure on the subject's face. At least with today's cameras. True high dynamic range sensors will offer a solution one day, in that they will capture detail in both the highlights and shadows of scenes like this. Then the challenge will be how to render that information onto lower dynamic range viewing media, including prints.
    If not now, when?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Very nice portrait. I would have loved to have made this as well. Virginia, I know how it feels after that first exposure to BD expectations. First class I took from him, he showed us War Photographer, the film about James Nachtwey (highly recommended), and I felt I was going to have to go out and get shot or something in order to make to get a passing grade.

This shot demonstrates something interesting I see in a lot of BD's work. That blown background through the window is inevitable given the lighting and proper exposure on the subject's face. At least with today's cameras. True high dynamic range sensors will offer a solution one day, in that they will capture detail in both the highlights and shadows of scenes like this. Then the challenge will be how to render that information onto lower dynamic range viewing media, including prints.

Rutt, you have not only hit on a problem relating to the current ability of sensors, but most lenses as well. The aspheric series of lenses for the M Leicas can get this kind of shot with no, or virtually no, veiling glare, but virtually no Canon or Nikon glass can. There are two or three Olympus lenses that come close to the Leica M glass in this respect, but otherwise it is a real problem. (There is visible veiling glare in this shot in color, but it was possible to pretty much eliminate it in the conversion and contrast adjustment process.)

Oh, and I am not beating the students this time - (I'm letting the sun do that! rolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    First class I took from him, he showed us War Photographer, the film about James Nachtwey (highly recommended)

I saw that last semester and I couldn't help but shed a tear. Or two. Luckily, I had kleenex in my bag lol.