5D II and white balance

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited August 25, 2009 in Cameras
Hi, I'm a few weeks into breaking in my 5DII. I used to always shoot on AWB with my previous 5D and that usually nailed the white balance with minimal adjustment in ACR. I've noticed that the 5DII on AWB seems to shoot on the cool side, and when processing the RAW files if I use the dropper in ACR on a white surface it seems to over correct and make the image super warm. I do use a calibrated monitor and my prints confirm that my subsquent "custom" WB adjustments are correct, but I do notice having to fiddle a lot more with WB in ACR since switching to the 5DII. I was wondering if other users had similar experiences, and do you use any particular WB settings during shooting that seem to make subsequent adjustments in RAW a little easier?
Thanks

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Same here with a 5D II and lightroom. I get correct WB when I selekt a (not so bright) grey area instead of one that is supposed to be white for wb adjustment in PP. My monitor is also calibrated btw.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited August 18, 2009
    double post
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Same here with a 5D II and lightroom. I get correct WB when I selekt a (not so bright) grey area instead of one that is supposed to be white for wb adjustment in PP. My monitor is also calibrated btw.

Do you always shoot on AWB or do you find that using a preset works better based on the conditions?
    edited August 19, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Do you always shoot on AWB or do you find that using a preset works better based on the conditions?

I always shoot AWB. If I was shooting JPEG I might set custom WB first.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I always shoot with a custom WB or one of the presets so I know what color temp I'm shooting at. There was an article I read once about how AWB is not AWB and that the range is really limited.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I may try some of the presets to see what happens, but I think what I'll do this weekend is shoot some white and gray cards just to get an idea of what's off. I did shoot a little bit the other day on AWB just to test, and same problem-- too cool out of the camera and too warm in ACR using dropper.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I may try some of the presets to see what happens, but I think what I'll do this weekend is shoot some white and gray cards just to get an idea of what's off. I did shoot a little bit the other day on AWB just to test, and same problem-- too cool out of the camera and too warm in ACR using dropper.

Both white and gray targets may be useful, especially in artificial, non-daylight balanced environments. The reason is that while a white target may fully saturate a single color channel in say, tungsten lighting, the gray target may not get color clipped and lend itself better for automated WB. If you have both targets available in the image, use whichever gets closest to acceptable. Further adjustment may also be required for best color overall.

Mixed lighting is very hard to correct and may require specialized treatments for correct processing. Filtered flash to match ambient is often the preferred method.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    I've also noticed that AWB is a bit cool under outdoor sunlight conditions. I haven't been able to fully characterize it yet. However, it seems to be consistant enough that I'm giving serous thought to creating a Lightroom Preset for just that situation as a starting point.