DSS 31....Go with it? or scrap it?

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's one idea that I have running thru my head, wondering what your initial reactions are....
basically same photo, just different crops.
For titles I'm thinking about...
Anticipation, or
You've Got Mail
but I'm open to suggestions!

623471014_A7fH4-M.jpg

623471195_D8m64-M.jpg

623515142_BRSgc-L.jpg
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I think this is a great idea.

It is a bit busy. If you could go to maybe a trailer park or go into a big apartment building and get the metal mail box's all along the wall. Again it's a great idea I just don't know how you could reduce the business of it. Maybe do a treatment like a midnight gold sepia?

I hope it helped.

g
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Miss Karin,

I like the idea you have here for the theme. It is effective and fits the theme well thumb.gif

I agree with Gail. The composition is very busy, and all that busy is taking away from the impact of the "open" mailbox...

Can you find just a "single" mailbox with the flora trimmed around it so that it does not distract? headscratch.gif Perhaps you can place some mail sticking out from the open mailbox resting in it? Perhaps some colored envelopes to kick it up a notch and give it color and contrast... :D

I think if you can find this single mailbox and then shoot it with a more shallow DOF to pull the focus onto it and not the surroundings, then that would work too..thumb.gif

OR

As Gail suggested, if you want "several" mailboxes, and perhaps only "one" in the row opened, then try to find a row of them with less clutter surrounding them, or the metal mailboxes in an apartment complex would work too for closed..

I like the idea clap.gifand I love the title "you've got mail" witty and fitting both..

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Miss Karin,

I like the idea you have here for the theme. It is effective and fits the theme well thumb.gif

I agree with Gail. The composition is very busy, and all that busy is taking away from the impact of the "open" mailbox...

Can you find just a "single" mailbox with the flora trimmed around it so that it does not distract? headscratch.gif Perhaps you can place some mail sticking out from the open mailbox resting in it? Perhaps some colored envelopes to kick it up a notch and give it color and contrast... :D

I think if you can find this single mailbox and then shoot it with a more shallow DOF to pull the focus onto it and not the surroundings, then that would work too..thumb.gif

OR

As Gail suggested, if you want "several" mailboxes, and perhaps only "one" in the row opened, then try to find a row of them with less clutter surrounding them, or the metal mailboxes in an apartment complex would work too for closed..

I like the idea clap.gifand I love the title "you've got mail" witty and fitting both..

Kat

Kat says it so much better. I know what I want to say but don't always find the right words. I certainly don't want to offend you. Like I said I really do like the idea. I think finding a single one is even better. Very simplistic and an easy find. Good luck to you.

g
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    I think it's a really good idea. I'd go with a row of them all open or all closed.

Kara
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hmmmmm...well dang! I was worried it might feel a bit cluttered, so you all certainly confirmed that, shucksrolleyes1.gif
    I was hoping that it gave it "character", but I hear ya on the busyness.
    Gail, absolutely no offense taken, I was surprised you thought that, after re-reading it, I found nothing offensive, just great advice! so thanks.
    Kat, thanks for your thoughts, I have some other ideas I'm hoping to try.
    I'm not so sure I could pull off a single mailbox without it being a bit boring, but we'll see, maybe the right mailbox could do it?
    Thanks for your input too Kara. I actually intended for the one open mailbox amongst the closed, but didn't get it framed in a way to accentuate it. Ah well, back to the drawing board for merolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Karin! This is an excellent idea for the theme. clap.gif (BTW, I've come to appreciate the "country charm" that you're able to capture in so many of your shots!)

To add to what everyone else has said, IMO a single mailbox is not as powerful or visually interesting. And though I do think that image 1 is a tad busy, I do like seeing both the mailbox and a portion of the pole. I'm a big fan of weathered and rusty and wish all of the mailboxes had that worn look. Perhaps you could do a little PS magic and remove the newer ones and add older mailboxes you've found elsewhere?
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited August 18, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Hi Karin! This is an excellent idea for the theme. clap.gif (BTW, I've come to appreciate the "country charm" that you're able to capture in so many of your shots!)

To add to what everyone else has said, IMO a single mailbox is not as powerful or visually interesting. And though I do think that image 1 is a tad busy, I do like seeing both the mailbox and a portion of the pole. I'm a big fan of weathered and rusty and wish all of the mailboxes had that worn look. Perhaps you could do a little PS magic and remove the newer ones and add older mailboxes you've found elsewhere?

Well thanks for the kind words Chris!
    I'm with you on the weathered and rusty...I don't know that my PS skills can accomplish that, but on my out and abouts today, I scouted some other options, so we'll see
    Karin

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    well I like #2 maybe busy as they say but holds open and closed and looks good
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Well thanks for the kind words Chris!
    I'm with you on the weathered and rusty...I don't know that my PS skills can accomplish that, but on my out and abouts today, I scouted some other options, so we'll see

You will pull it off, you always do..thumb.gifivar
    edited August 19, 2009
    jwear wrote:
    well I like #2 maybe busy as they say but holds open and closed and looks good

Thanks Jeff! I actually had done some cloning on that one to remove some of the clutter, but, it's just not strong enough:cry Thanks for your input:D
    Karin

edited August 19, 2009
    You will pull it off, you always do..thumb.gifivar

:D Thanks Kat, hope I can measure up to that this time around!
    Karin

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I love this idea thumb.gif

Can you play with the angle and DOF, thus keeping a few in sharp focus while letting the rest blur out? If you have a telephoto (sorry, don't know your gear) the compression factor would also play into the repetition nicely. I'd probably move around to the right if possible, and shoot straighter down the line. Close-crop that, and you could get some really intersting compositions, I think...
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hi Karin,

The idea is very good indeed, but I would try different angles and dof's
    to help the background being less obvious...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited August 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I love this idea thumb.gif

Can you play with the angle and DOF, thus keeping a few in sharp focus while letting the rest blur out? If you have a telephoto (sorry, don't know your gear) the compression factor would also play into the repetition nicely. I'd probably move around to the right if possible, and shoot straighter down the line. Close-crop that, and you could get some really intersting compositions, I think...

Thanks for your ideas Diva, I will keep those in mind when I get out to shoot again...won't be today, gotta work:cry
    Karin

edited August 19, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hi Karin,

The idea is very good indeed, but I would try different angles and dof's
    to help the background being less obvious...

Thanks Tatiana:D
    Karin

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Like the idea, very clever. Hopefully you can find the perfect group of boxes. I like that one is open and the other shut, though all shut certainly works. All open would not (IMO). You might get some better luck w/ B&W if you don't get a chance to reshoot. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Like the idea, very clever. Hopefully you can find the perfect group of boxes. I like that one is open and the other shut, though all shut certainly works. All open would not (IMO). You might get some better luck w/ B&W if you don't get a chance to reshoot. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Thanks Andrew:D
    Karin