Stained Glass

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Technique
I've suddenly got the itch to photograph stained glass windows. I've been toying with the different settings on my Nikon D60, but just can't seem to get a shot I like. The stained glass windows at my church are so beautiful, but the way they turn out in the photograph is no were near the beauty of the real thing. What's the best way to photograph stained glass windows from the inside?
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 18, 2009
    Capturing the windows is easy - just expose them properly or under expose slightly for better satuaration. The hard part is that the rest of the interior of church will be woefully under exposed - like this, shot handheld with a G9

308060011_mxJZb-L.jpg

What you must do is shoot an exposure for the windows, and one for the interior walls, which will usually require at least three stops more light, and then combine them in PS, or shoot three shots as an HDR and do it that way. I did not get the shots I needed for the horse and rider unfortunately.

Shoot during the daytime so the windows are lit from outside, not at night when the windows are only lit from the inside ( unless you are going to shoot from outside the church with the windows lit by the tungsten lights inside the church ) Shoot later in the day so that the light is from the side, and not at noon if possible.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    thanks for the tips. I think I will play around with the exposure and maybe shoot some from the outside as well. That's a beautiful shot you posted by the way.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thank you.

Usually the range of lighting intensities are beyond the 5 or 6 stops a sensor can cope with. Hence the need for a composite or HDR.

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    You could try to light the inside with mono lights. Essentially the exposure works just like balancing a backlit subject.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited August 19, 2009
    Good suggestion.

I'm sure Joe McNally would use a couple speedlites on the inside to transilluminate the glass windows toothumb.gif

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    If shooting sillouettes from inside during the daytime, be sure to choose "Daylight" white balance.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    HDR works very well for church interiors. This shot was 3 exposures set 1 2/3 stops apart and I have used a variety of tricks in Photoshop to compress the 11 stop composite (give or take) down to 6(ish) for display.

202007177_YkPrK-L-1.jpg
  • BradJudyBradJudy Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I'll second much of what has been said. You'll likely want to shoot during the day and underexpose. Do not shoot with the sun directly opposite the window, since that will probably blow out a portion. Overcast days can work quite well if you can use a tripod.

Here are two of the Mucha window in the St Vitus Cathedral in Prague done with just a Canon A630:

626847490_2aCGn-L.jpg

413429507_iLEhH-L-2.jpg
    edited August 22, 2009
    Very nice.