wide OPEN space?

RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited August 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all!

Gosh it has been ages (I started graduate school, and boy has that kept me busy!). I went hiking this weekend and when I checked in on dGrin today realized I had taken a pic that may just work in terms of theme. Not sure composition etc work as well, but I thought I'd throw it up (thoughts in terms of comp and PP greatly appreciated), AND use it as an excuse to say HELLO! I've been following even though I haven't been posting- y'all are rock stars!

623642709_9wAGQ-M.jpg

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi Rebecca!

I didn't immediately make the connection to your title. I think if there wasn't the blur in the foreground I'd be able to better see the green space reflecting in the eye - which is what you are referring to by "wide open space", correct? My eyes are drawn to the crisp area of the photo which looks like a reflection of a statue, and thus I don't make the connection. This is a great idea, but I think there is too much softness.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Good idea! But perhaps there's a bit of a green color cast to this? That's a bit distracting to me. Does it look like that to you?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    A little green but might just be reflected light. Even though the blur takes away from the wide open space the eye is still open. Would be a bonus if it could be more clear. Little more contrast might help.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Nice shot and great for theme. Love the angle you shot this at too.thumb.gif

I agree, the DOF is so shallow that it blurs half of the composition taking away from the reflective beauty.

I would look up at a blue sky with fluffy clouds and shoot it at the same angle but with a deeper DOF.. The trees and brush in the reflection are competing with the beauty of the eye.

Kat
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    The defender of ridiculously narrow DOF is here! :D

I, of course, love the narrow DOF on this shot; it's really what makes it for me. And, as Kat said, the angle is great.

I also see a green cast, would that be an easy thing for you to adjust?

As far as a reshoot goes, I don't think it would be necessary if you just change the focus of the image by changing the title so that it's no longer about open spaces but about an open eye. This was an idea that I had, but I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to pull it off nearly as beautifully as you have.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Like this image a lot. Beautiful.
    I'm getting the greenish cast a well.
    Who or what is in the core of the reflection? For wide open space, I'd have liked to have seen more sky and cloud and less tree and people. Still, a wonderful idea, very well executed.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site