Options

DSS #31 - Luggage

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited August 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Title- 'Luggage'.

Thoughts? Does the picture work for you? Good/bad, brutal honesty always welcome :)

Which idea/image do you like better, this one or my carnival ride?

(See Kat, I did get my daughter to model for me! )

Thanks!

623766478_LhaCu-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    It's a great idea! At the very least lose the open space at the top and make the luggage more central to the image, maybe bring out some more detail in the luggage. thumb.gif
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    Title- 'Luggage'.

Thoughts? Does the picture work for you? Good/bad, brutal honesty always welcome :)

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Really cool shot and love the sharpness of it. One thing I would have done different is I would create a contrast between the suitcase and the background, by either using a suitcase with a different color or just use a background with a different color, especially since the luggage is your main subject here. The way it is right now, the suit case has somewhat been blended into the color of the background due to their identical color. Other than that, I love it! thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Great idea!

The only thing I might do is put it "in situ" instead of against a plain background (a bedroom? Bathroom? Living room? Hotel room?). That might get cluttered, of course, but I think it could be a neat way of creating some context, too.

Have at it!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Great idea!

The only thing I might do is put it "in situ" instead of against a plain background (a bedroom? Bathroom? Living room? Hotel room?). That might get cluttered, of course, but I think it could be a neat way of creating some context, too.

Have at it!! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif This is a great idea....just not a fan of the black background. Did you have to bribe you daughter for help with this one??
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree, I'm not totally happy about the black background either. I couldn't think of a good place to shoot in my house where the background wouldn't be totally distracting, so I went this way to see how it would turn out. Not bad, but not great.

Allen - You're right about the black on black. I realized that might be a problem from the start, but I don't have a nice bright suitcase.

OK, you're all saying the same thing really, find an actual background that isn't too crazy. I'm on it.

My daughter is actually really good about posing for these contests from time to time. She's been in a few of my entries over the last year. It occured to me that over time I'll end up with enough really interesting pictures featuring her that I could make a photo-book as a gift for her, perhaps a birthday or graduation present.

Thanks!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Like the idea and agree with the other on the BG
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    Title- 'Luggage'.

Thanks!

Well ya sure did....!!! come on now.. what cell phone plan did ya have to fork over to talk her into it. ? deal.gif Just kidding..:D

Well, I can say that I love it and it rocks..Love the expression on her face and the struggle with closing the luggage.. The hair was a nice touch and just gotta love the painted toe nails, they add to the teen element and the shot is consistent throughout because that is exactly how they pack a suitcase!!! :lol4

To avoid being redundant, I will just say I agree with the others' BG CC...

Can you re-shoot? This is a strong entry.. Perhaps put it up on a bed or in a bedroom, or there is always Photoshop for the background too.

I agree with Diva, it would help to have some environmental element. If your worried about it being to busy, then perhaps up on the bed would help or you can always adjust your DOF to target the subject..

The reason I suggest a re-shoot is because the lighting is not balanced. It is harsh on one side and dark on the other.. Ya need fill light to balance it... thumb.gif Perhaps re-shoot in the day?

Love it.. clap.gifand I bet your daughter is going to love that album you give her one day too..

Good Luck,

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    OK, here's a re-shoot in a natural environment.

Thoughts, critique?

Thanks!

"Luggage"
    625291746_9cV9h-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Hi Mike,

Wow, this looks great. I love the environment and nice touch with the teddies..

The hair is better too with all those highlights and your exposure is great too.
    I am wondering if the wall is green or if it is white because I see green behind the teddy.. I think you did a grand job and you really stepped it up here on the re-shoot...

Now don't throw something at me.:hide. but......deal.gif.. there is a nit..

She is looking disinterested in her activity at hand.. The expression on the first shoot was better because we could see her focus on the task at hand "struggling to get the suitcase closed" Here she is looking away seeming to be in her own thoughts daydreaming kind of..

You nailed everything else though and awesome work.. thumb.gif

is this the only capture from "this" shoot?

Perhaps see what others say here. Maybe I am being too picky, I dunno,
    I can be at times, but I always give you my best honest advice..:D

Kat
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Ditto with Kat. Love everything about this one much more except the facial expression. The gritted teeth were so wonderful, so much so that if I had to chose, I'd go with the original over this one.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I had just the opposite reaction from Kat. I actually think her expression in the last post is more authentic. I found the first expression too contrived.

I like the concept. It might also be a cool b&w or monotone.thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Kat, the wall is green. That's a good catch, perhaps I should darken the bulk of that wall so it matches what's by the teddy.

I also loved that grimace from the earlier shot. I just couldn't get her to do that expression today. Interesting that Dan finds this one more natural though. Have to see what the consensus is on that point.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Maybe instead of a grimace you could talk her into a frown of frustration...
    I took the wall to be light green, just a little washed out on the right, but still green.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Yes, I would wait for a consensus..thumb.gif

And yes on the wall too, because I am noticing the same green glow at the crown of her head, just like on the teddy bears..headscratch.gif

Kat
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I like the bg better in the reshoot. I think the problem with the expression in the 2nd shoot is she "checked out" a little, so her eyes are a touch dead. The first one IS contrived, but it's more alive.

Do you have any from the second shoot with just some plain old-fashioned eye-rolling or exasperation rather than the active "struggle" of the first one?

I do love this concept and I'm confident you've got a shot in there that's just right!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Good feedback all, thanks a lot. I looked through the other shots from today, and here is the best new facial expression I found, compared with the original shot.

I can see a few obvious things to touch up, what would you do to it?
    Opinions, suggestions, nits welcome.

1) Old distant gaze

625291746_9cV9h-XL.jpg

2) New straining grimace

625613563_4FGgt-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    Mike,

That is much better on the expression..

I say go with it, and polish this one, and once you bring back the wall color, you might even put up a black and white conversion or sepia just to see what it would look like.. I am just curious..

Now I am not sure how adept you are at masking but you could always bring back your original too, and just mask her onto this new background as an option.. Just throwing that out there, however, I sure like the hair and highlights in these newer ones better..thumb.gifD

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    Liking #2.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site