Mountain car show ~ sort-of

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited September 2, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I thought since Tom is always so nice to supply us with vintage autos for our viewing pleasure, I'd return the favor...
Randy

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Le Concours Pas d'Elegance !!

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:

I had to translate that, but I think your spot on thumb.gif
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Zounds!! What a magnificent array of vehicles. You've outdone yourself here, Randy. That glorious machine in #3 appears to be a knock-off ( copy ) of an Oakland Safari Wagon. I don't think it is a genuine Oakland, more likely something else modified to function like one.....akin, perhaps, to a modern tour bus.

That contraption in #4 is just plain mesmerizing. Can't you just imagine the thrill of blasting through the hills in that thing. I wonder how those little wheels under the front skis held up under hard use.

A superior collection of pictures, for sure. Extremely well done, Randy.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 18, 2009
    Zounds!! What a magnificent array of vehicles. You've outdone yourself here, Randy. That glorious machine in #3 appears to be a knock-off ( copy ) of an Oakland Safari Wagon. I don't think it is a genuine Oakland, more likely something else modified to function like one.....akin, perhaps, to a modern tour bus.

That contraption in #4 is just plain mesmerizing. Can't you just imagine the thrill of blasting through the hills in that thing. I wonder how those little wheels under the front skis held up under hard use.

Tom

Tom,

The cool/scary thing about the contraption: Those skis are new and in excellent condition as are the back 4 wheels & tires. The tracks appear new also. I think they actually use that critter eek7.gif

All that said ~ I'd jump all over the chance to ride up in the mountains in that thing thumb.gif

OK, the treats over - back to posting your great shots of those fantastic vehicles...
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009

Tom

Ain't you southern boys ever seen a snowmobile?? The little wheels are for movin' it around on the road but they come off when the snow starts flying. :D

A Delaunay-Belleville car from tsar Nicholas II of Russia equiped with Kegresse system (1917)
    This image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.

624227335_SShkZ-XL.jpg

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 19, 2009
    I don't know, doesn't seem to have quite the panache' of this "US" one! The big Russian unit looks like you might actually LIVE through the ride rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Nice find!

Jack'll do wrote:
    Ain't you southern boys ever seen a snowmobile?? The little wheels are for moving' it around on the road but they come off when the snow starts flying. :D

A Delaunay-Belleville car from tsar Nicholas II of Russia equiped with Kegresse system (1917)
    This image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.

624227335_SShkZ-XL.jpg
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    Randy,

There's no meaningful words I can add to the justly earned flow of accolades you have received for this great shot.

I will say this, though; if you can call on the sun's rays to appear at such a poignant time and place, I'm going to have to move you up a notch or two on my list of power brokers.:D :D

Tom

Tom,

I've blitzed ya'll with so many pics the last couple of days, I think you might have posted this to the wrong thread...

Thank you for your kind comments on the church shot.

Oh, and about calling up the sun's rays --- All I'm going to say about that is; Don't mess with me or I'll tell Daddy rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:

Perfect! I'm particularly fond of the 3rd shot. Thank you for sharing these.
    edited August 19, 2009
    Perfect! I'm particularly fond of the 3rd shot. Thank you for sharing these.

It is an interesting automobile!

Thanks for commenting Christina
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Randy,

Yea, I got confused about that last post I did on this thread. I moved it over to the right thread.

My wife wants to know when I'm going to get off the floor and stop this stupid cackling fit I'm having after reading your remark about probably being able to survive the ride in the Russian rig. Even the cats are giving me a lot of room.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Very nice work Randy. Love the processing you put them through.
    Did you use an action, plug-in or something else?
    Composition is excellent. Really neat vehicles.
    And yes I would love to live through the ride on that snow critter.
    Flat ground only. mwink.gif
    Michael
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Very cool work all around!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited August 19, 2009
    Randy,

Yea, I got confused about that last post I did on this thread. I moved it over to the right thread.

My wife wants to know when I'm going to get off the floor and stop this stupid cackling fit I'm having after reading your remark about probably being able to survive the ride in the Russian rig. Even the cats are giving me a lot of room.

Tom

So, your on the floor laughing...

See there, I AM good for something - I knew my wife was wrong all these years rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Very nice work Randy. Love the processing you put them through.
    Did you use an action, plug-in or something else?
    Composition is excellent. Really neat vehicles.
    And yes I would love to live through the ride on that snow critter.
    Flat ground only. mwink.gif

Silverton, CO ~ where these vehicles live, is way-up in the Rockies. It is also one of (3) in/out places for the famous "Alpine Loop", a fantastic 4-Wheel drive section in the rugged mountain peaks. ~ Not for the faint of heart ~

So, what that means to you mister, is NO FLAT GROUND!

Have your wife check your life insurance policy wings.gif

I have been processing almost exclusively in LR2 for a couple of months now. I have created "presets" that I'll use sometimes. But, I fly by the seat of my pants mostly, so once I use one of my custom presets, I'll then start messin' with it from there.

I appreciate your comments and interest in my work thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Very cool work all around!

How the heck have ya' been Bill?

Thanks for the comment
    Randy
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Thank you Randy for these fine images! Great work on them. First thing I thought, upon seeing them, was that you'd done a great job of making them look like very old photos. Wonderful work.

Regarding photo three: That, my friends, is an honest to goodness "Station Wagon." Yes, it's official. They came by their name by following the right track (You'll get the joke in a moment). In the late teens and early twenties (which these cars are - the wire wheels having replaced the wood wheels in the very early 1920s), the most common way to travel was by steel wheels - train. Hotels would send a car to the train, upon it's arrival, to pick up passengers who were staying at the hotel. Since a car could only carry three or four people and had very limitied space for luggage, they called upon the old wagon makers and had them build a body, such as you see here, onto a large automobile chassis for the purpose of carrying more passengers and still have room for all their luggage. Hence, the hotels would send a wagon to the station. Get it? . . . I knew you would!

I've seen tracked vehicles like the one in pictue four a few times in my life, but always in old photos in books (and on the History Channel). They're more common in the upper elevations, where snow can be a problem for normally wheeled vehicles, than in, say, the Gulf regions or pretty much anywhere in New Mexico or southern California. They often worked double-duty in the warm months as a regular truck. The skis were fitted when the snow was heavy enough and the wheels refitted when it melted. Same with the tracks.The tandem rear remained, as the added load capacity was useful year-round.

Thank you again for these great photos, Randy! thumb.gif

rwells wrote:
    I thought since Tom is always so nice to supply us with vintage autos for our viewing pleasure, I'd return the favor...

1)
    623845565_QpJbR-L.jpg

2)
    623861888_cyp3R-L.jpg

3) Ok Tom, what the heck was this one's official designation?
    623865929_HtmfM-L.jpg

4) Bonus ~ I doubt even Tom has ever seen one of these :D
    623889837_voex4-L.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited August 19, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Thank you Randy for these fine images! Great work on them. First thing I thought, upon seeing them, was that you'd done a great job of making them look like very old photos. Wonderful work.

Regarding photo three: That, my friends, is an honest to goodness "Station Wagon." Yes, it's official. They came by their name by following the right track (You'll get the joke in a moment). In the late teens and early twenties (which these cars are - the wire wheels having replaced the wood wheels in the very early 1920s), the most common way to travel was by steel wheels - train. Hotels would send a car to the train, upon it's arrival, to pick up passengers who were staying at the hotel. Since a car could only carry three or four people and had very limitied space for luggage, they called upon the old wagon makers and had them build a body, such as you see here, onto a large automobile chassis for the purpose of carrying more passengers and still have room for all their luggage. Hence, the hotels would send a wagon to the station. Get it? . . . I knew you would!

I've seen tracked vehicles like the one in pictue four a few times in my life, but always in old photos in books (and on the History Channel). They're more common in the upper elevations, where snow can be a problem for normally wheeled vehicles, than in, say, the Gulf regions or pretty much anywhere in New Mexico or southern California. They often worked double-duty in the warm months as a regular truck. The skis were fitted when the snow was heavy enough and the wheels refitted when it melted. Same with the tracks.The tandem rear remained, as the added load capacity was useful year-round.

Thank you again for these great photos, Randy! thumb.gif

Lee,

I really appreciate your (and Tom & Jack) taking the time to educate me about these types of vehicles. I never really got into the "who made what model this or that year", but I do find the info quite interesting. I'm certainly thrilled that we have some of you here that have that knowledge & are willing to share it.

I've always loved old, & especially old rusty vehicles. Kind of like the old houses that I shoot and wonder about. I'm always wondering what was seen through that old windshield over the years.

I've spent considerable time and effort trying to learn how to make images from my state-of-the-art, multi-thousand dollar camera/lens rig, look like they came from an inferior, outdated, clunky old camera and crappy film headscratch.gifeek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

That right there shows a little of what's wrong with me rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, thank you for your kind words about my images.
    Randy
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    You're welcome, Randy, and there's nothing wrong with trying to make pictures look old, as long as it's done right. And you, my friend, do it right. bowdown.gif

By the way, they're all Fords. I forgot to tell you that. eek7.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited August 19, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    By the way, they're all Fords. I forgot to tell you that. eek7.gif

Fords ~ I still like them anyway rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Silverton, CO ~ where these vehicles live, is way-up in the Rockies. It is also one of (3) in/out places for the famous "Alpine Loop", a fantastic 4-Wheel drive section in the rugged mountain peaks. ~ Not for the faint of heart ~

So, what that means to you mister, is NO FLAT GROUND!

Have your wife check your life insurance policy wings.gif

I have been processing almost exclusively in LR2 for a couple of months now. I have created "presets" that I'll use sometimes. But, I fly by the seat of my pants mostly, so once I use one of my custom presets, I'll then start messin' with it from there.

I appreciate your comments and interest in my work thumb.gif
    All FORDS... yeah baby. thumb.gif
    Them boys know their stuff about cars. Huge credits to Lee and Tom.
    Plus the other folks I missed mentioning who know tons.

rolleyes1.gifTheres flat ground out front of the Motel. I could do that. :D

We have many not for the faint of heart treks up here as well. I have been
    on a few. Can't say I was personally over joyed but it was the way in and out.
    My wife got out and walked when it got hairy. I would have too but I was stuck with the driving.
    mwink.gif Who ya gunna call?

Fly by the seat of your pants massaging a photo. Get that as I do it a lot
    myself. Go for look and feel. Still... your working from a nice baseline to
    start. Way to work it out. thumb.gif I've yet to get their on my own with
    "presets". Using other peoples actions for now till I can find time to figure
    it out.
    Michael
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    3) Ok Tom, what the heck was this one's official designation?
    623865929_HtmfM-L.jpg

Nice. I know a few people who own this model.

A tiny bit of history about this type of vehicle in another thread on dgrin.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited August 24, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Nice. I know a few people who own this model.

A tiny bit of history about this type of vehicle in another thread on dgrin.

Bill,

Can you tell me the exact model & year? I'm really curious to know.
    Randy
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Can you tell me the exact model & year? I'm really curious to know.

It's a Ford Model T Station Wagon. The body is nearly identical to a 1917, however the wheels on a 1917 were wood spoked, and you've got wire wheels there.

Nobody I've asked could pinpoint exactly when they started using wire wheels on the Model T station wagon. It was somewhere between 1918 and 1924 (in 1924 the grille design changed).
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug