3835825426_e2d36a6793_o.jpg

2)
3835034021_95800a06ca_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I like the first better than the second, but they are both great! The first one is BRAVO. Really shows the energy being put forth
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Liking them both. FIrst one is all energy. The 3 parallel streams of water off her arm, and the huge surge of water ahead of her are great! Did the detail on the water fall off that naturally ahead of her? She's plowing into very still water.

The second, I like her intensity against the perfect manicure of her hands.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I like the first better than the second, but they are both great! The first one is BRAVO. Really shows the energy being put forth
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Liking them both. FIrst one is all energy. The 3 parallel streams of water off her arm, and the huge surge of water ahead of her are great! Did the detail on the water fall off that naturally ahead of her? She's plowing into very still water.

The second, I like her intensity against the perfect manicure of her hands.

Thanks, both of you, for the comments. Yes, Andrew, the light falloff in the water was natural, which was what initially attracted me to the shot. It was as if she was plowing into the great unknown.
    Travis
    edited August 20, 2009
    Any other comments? All are appreciated. Thanks!
    Travis
    edited August 20, 2009
    Here's a couple more shots from the same set. Perhaps some will find them more appealing. :D

3)
    3835825234_bf3881f42d_o.jpg

4)
    3835825634_8f4a0f8066_o.jpg

Enjoy!:D
    Travis
    edited August 20, 2009
    I liked the first two much more.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 20, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I liked the first two much more.

Thanks, Andrew, I did too. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited August 20, 2009
    I should have elaborated, sorry. The third one is a good story pic, but I think needs some of the pool identifiable. She's clearly getting ready, but I want more a sense of what is lying in front of her. Certainly a keeper for the personal files and for her. The fourth one didn't work for me because the swimmer is looking right at you and there isn't a sense of great motion in the picture; doesn't feel like a competition is at hand.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 20, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I should have elaborated, sorry. The third one is a good story pic, but I think needs some of the pool identifiable. She's clearly getting ready, but I want more a sense of what is lying in front of her. Certainly a keeper for the personal files and for her. The fourth one didn't work for me because the swimmer is looking right at you and there isn't a sense of great motion in the picture; doesn't feel like a competition is at hand.

Thanks for the additional comments, Andrew.

I actually chose the last image because she was looking at me and because there was no sense of urgency, though the water was obviously churning. I did crop the shot quite a bit and may have lost some of the juxtoposition to anyone besides myself. I appreciate hearing you take on it.
    Travis
    edited August 20, 2009
    Looking at 3 again, I think the pool is there, but in B&W, it doesn't say pool.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 20, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Looking at 3 again, I think the pool is there, but in B&W, it doesn't say pool.

Agreed (though it is a lake mwink.gif), but I'm not sure that it needs to. I didn't really intend for number 3 to say anything in particular. It's a portrait, albiet untraditional since it's from behind, of a swimmer. It certainly wouldn't make it far as a "street" shot, but maybe it also doesn't make it as an environmental portrait. :D
    Travis
    edited August 20, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Agreed (though it is a lake mwink.gif), but I'm not sure that it needs to. I didn't really intend for number 3 to say anything in particular. It's a portrait, albiet untraditional since it's from behind, of a swimmer. It certainly wouldn't make it far as a "street" shot, but maybe it also doesn't make it as an environmental portrait. :D

I think it's a keeper as a portrait. I wouldn't call it street since it lacks the story/humor/irony aspect. I wouldn't call it EP, since there's not much to say environment. I like it as a portrait that your swimmer model might want on her wall....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I guess I'm a little different.

As a long-time sports shooter, the first one doesn't do anything for me. I'm not really a big fan of blurred extremities on sports shots, and I think the main killer for me is that the light on the water forms a horizontal barrier and the swimmer is swimming 90 degrees to that. Action should almost always have somewhere to go in the frame, a flow if you will. YMMV

The second image = excellante'
    Randy
    edited August 20, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I guess I'm a little different.

As a long-time sports shooter, the first one doesn't do anything for me. I'm not really a big fan of blurred extremities on sports shots, and I think the main killer for me is that the light on the water forms a horizontal barrier and the swimmer is swimming 90 degrees to that. Action should almost always have somewhere to go in the frame, a flow if you will. YMMV

The second image = excellante'
    Thanks for the input, Randy. The fact that she is participating in a sport is completely coincidental to me, actually. I am not a sports shooter and wouldn't know where to begin to shoot the sport of swimming. This image was really about the the girl who happens to be swimming.

I do understand how your background can make the image difficult to appreciate, though (or maybe my image makes the image difficult to appreciate... rolleyes1.gif) . Thanks again! thumb.gif
    Travis