Options

#31 Opening in the Clouds

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Does this work for you guys?

I sat at this lake for more than three hours with heavy fog and cloud cover. In the late evening it suddenly broke up, revealing Mt. Rainier.
I'm open to different title ideas if anyone's got any.

Thanks for looking!

623855018_REXwc-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    This is a very beautiful shot Danny! I'm not so good giving feedback, so bare with me.
    My only thoughts on this for theme purposes would be since the main subject is Mt Rainer thru the clouds, I don't know that you need as much of the reflection in it, maybe cropping just below the tips of the tees in the center?ne_nau.gif Just a thought. Also the title is a bit ho-humm for such a gorgeous shot, why not just call it "Revealed", or "Mt. Ranier Revealed".
    Well, just my thought FWIW!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    It is a lovely shot, but I don't readily see how it is Open or Closed, and therefore not sure how well the shot ties in with the challenge theme. I see what your thought process was in creating it, just not sure that the image itself carries that thought.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    kds1 wrote:
    It is a lovely shot, but I don't readily see how it is Open or Closed, and therefore not sure how well the shot ties in with the challenge theme. I see what your thought process was in creating it, just not sure that the image itself carries that thought.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

+2 (beautiful shot Danny)
  • Options
    NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Beautiful shot. Makes me sad to live amoungst the corn fields.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Beautiful shot. Ditto on the closed. If you have multiple exposures with the same lighting and the clouds moving around (and lots of mad photoshop skills to burn) perhaps you could synthesize a greater sense of a portal being opened in the clouds [not sure if that violates any particular rule of the challenge]. The one little cloud obscuring the top of the peak is frustrating, which is what made me think about merging multiple images.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I was thinking that this might be a bit of a stretch but I'm a landscape photographer so this theme is a bit tough for me. It was worth seeing if this would work.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I was thinking that this might be a bit of a stretch but I'm a landscape photographer so this theme is a bit tough for me. It was worth seeing if this would work.

That is no excuse Danny.:D Next time you go out, look at everything through the lens of the theme "open or closed" and you will see things very differently; and maybe come back with a challenge winnerwings.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Any gaping chasms in your neighbor's yard? :D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Danny,

It is a gorgeous capture..mwink.gif I love the reflection and the sky..

However, I do agree, that it is not very strong on theme. Perhaps if there were a larger break in the clouds, but even then, the "peak" would end up dominating as the subject and not the opening..

I do hope you can get back out there and find something that works... Perhaps an opening in a tree line or maybe even a trail head? Do you know where any caves are perhaps?

Good Luck To You,

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    That is no excuse Danny.:D Next time you go out, look at everything through the lens of the theme "open or closed" and you will see things very differently; and maybe come back with a challenge winnerwings.gif

Thanks for the encouragement, Dan! Usually I just go out to take pictures of things the way I see them then worry about finding a shot that might fit a challenge later on. Otherwise I'm trying to hard. I like to just get out and have fun. :D
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Any gaping chasms in your neighbor's yard? :D

Actually...
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Danny,

It is a gorgeous capture..mwink.gif I love the reflection and the sky..

However, I do agree, that it is not very strong on theme. Perhaps if there were a larger break in the clouds, but even then, the "peak" would end up dominating as the subject and not the opening..

I do hope you can get back out there and find something that works... Perhaps an opening in a tree line or maybe even a trail head? Do you know where any caves are perhaps?

Good Luck To You,

Kat
    Thanks for the feedback, Kat. As I mentioned to Dan, I'm more about going out and taking shots that fit my style then I'll try to find something that fits, retroactively. Here are a few more shots from this past weekend that are probably still a stretch but I wouldn't mind getting your thoughts anyway.

The opening to a new day (probably won't come close to fitting the theme).
    622752503_vHVJc-XL-1.jpg

Here's another moment where the clouds started to open up a bit.
    623847711_qpBMF-XL-1.jpg

Here's a bit of an opening in the treeline and also the clouds are opening up a bit to reveal the mountain.
    623844770_g4bWp-XL-1.jpg

I realize that these probably aren't much better than the original post but it's worth a try. :D
    If anyone likes one of these, I can think up some titles.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Ok,

Well in that case... If you are going to go with one of these...headscratch.gif
    and be so stubborn..blbl.gifrofl

Definitely the first or second one.. You will need to really nail the title to drive the point home, but these two could possibly work..

The first one reminds me of a division by a veil, and you could argue that the other side is "closed off"..

The second one, is also closing the canopy of trees off, although it would be stronger if the trees were tropical for the canopy idea.. but the clouds are shutting or closing the sun out :D

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do, and what a skill you have for the landscape work..mwink.gif

Kat
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Netter wrote:
    Beautiful shot. Makes me sad to live amoungst the corn fields.

15524779-Ti.gif Jealous of your landscape photography skills.....rolleyes1.gif

Beautifully captured!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!