31 possibility

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been out of town for most of this challenge and, though I spent a lot of time on the road looking at things in terms of how they would fit this challenge, I did not always have my camera with me. I did take a series of pictures inside a beat-up, old covered bridge, in rural Georgia. And then tried my hand at HDR for the first time.

As to a title, how about "Open to the Past."

624235095_bmpQk-L.jpg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    I have been out of town for most of this challenge and, though I spent a lot of time on the road looking at things in terms of how they would fit this challenge, I did not always have my camera with me. I did take a series of pictures inside a beat-up, old covered bridge, in rural Georgia. And then tried my hand at HDR for the first time.

As to a title, how about "Open to the Past."

I like the shot AND the title! Great job! Ummm.... although the 'Rednecks Rule' part may be a little problematic.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Cool shot Greg! I like how you can read the graffiti (sp?) on the overhead beams as you enter thru the image.
    The first thought I had on a title, was "Light at the End of the Tunnel"
    Great shot for the theme!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Cool shot. It doesn't scream open to me. The little posts at the end look like two people talking to each other.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Greg,

I love the depth here..!!!

The exit is a little blown out, but the more I look at it, the more I realize it works here because it helps with the depth perception.

My only nit is the symmetry because of the layout of the wood being the same on both sides.. Perhaps you can crop a tiny bit off the right side to make it look the same as the left?

Nice shot.. and I love the graffiti as well as your processing..:D

Kat
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Wowsers.....fantastic capture and a most excellent shot for HDR! clap.gifclap.gif

My only suggestion....really put on your thinking cap for a title, I'm not 100% convinced of "open to the past".
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Changed the title to "Building Bridges Opened His Shackles."

Fascinating story behind this covered bridge that I learned more tonight with some internet research. Here's the story: http://www.ackdoc.com/wordpress/2009/08/19/red-oak-covered-bridge/

Thanks for looking everyone.

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited August 23, 2009
    Might be my last challenge for a while. Standing on the dunes today, taking pictures of the swells caused by Hurricane Bill. Huge rogue wave crashed over the dunes, pulling me, my camera bag, my blackberry, my D90, and my 18-200 VR lens all down in to the surf.

I now have an expensive bookend that looks a lot like a Nikon D90.

:cry
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Ouch Greg, that is totally a bummer. Would it be covered under Home owners insurance? Just glad the wave did not take you out , it happens a lot here in CA on the coast.
    Now the worst thing that is going to happen is the withdrawal symptoms from not pushing a shutter button.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited August 23, 2009
    AWWWWWWWW Greg.... Bummer Dude....:uhoh:uhoh:uhoh

CRUD.......

I feel your pain... I just recently lost mine too... Looks like you will join the ranks of the "point and shooters" for a while?

Perhaps you can get your hands on one?

Really sorry to hear that happened to you Greg...:cry

However, I commend you on your Nat Geo shooting attempt, that must have been something else..thumb.gif
    edited August 23, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Ouch Greg, that is totally a bummer. Would it be covered under Home owners insurance? Just glad the wave did not take you out , it happens a lot here in CA on the coast.
    Now the worst thing that is going to happen is the withdrawal symptoms from not pushing a shutter button.

15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif At least you are safe and did not get hurt..!!!

P.S. The withdraws are bad,,, deal.gif
    edited August 23, 2009
    I feel it already. I predicted it this morning, and I can already tell that the evening sunset is going to be amazing as the hurricane clouds leave our sky. And I have nothing but some 120 film and a collection of old Rolleflex's to shoot it with. Of course, they are fun. But PS is more fun!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited August 23, 2009
    ohh, they get much worse..:D:D:D

Well, I just recently learned that you can get film negatives scanned onto disk so you have TIFF's or JPEGS for the Photoshop..

However, there is no exif, so they would not qualify for the challenges as entries, but it may help to keep you sane mwink.gif

I say hunt a point and shoot...deal.gif before you bounce of the walls..
    You know your addicted to the challenges like the rest of us :D

I will say this too.. The point and shoot will sure make you appreciate the control you had with the DSLR... that's for sure!!!

Kat
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Might be my last challenge for a while. Standing on the dunes today, taking pictures of the swells caused by Hurricane Bill. Huge rogue wave crashed over the dunes, pulling me, my camera bag, my blackberry, my D90, and my 18-200 VR lens all down in to the surf.

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. Truly, truly awful. I'm hoping you have some sort of insurance? Something?? Maybe???
    edited August 23, 2009
    I don't think I have a policy that will cover it. I guess I can pull out my Homeowner's just to see, but it's hard for me to imagine that it will cover a camera on the beach.

Would love, love, love to upgrade to the newer F700, and go FX. But those are 3K, and this is only a hobby.

So I will have to borrow my son's P&S (ironically, it's waterproof and I use it in the surf all the time) for a little while.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    The HO policy will cover up to a point, after that you need a personal articles rider to cover your camera stuff. You may get $500-$1000 back even without one, depending on the company. And it is generally just for this sort of thing, though they may balk at the rouge wave sort. I'll be interested to hear what their answer is, and what in the policy (or not in the policy) determined the ruling. Can you post on this thread so it will show up in tagged threads?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    ghinson wrote:

Serious OUCH.

Do Nikon do anything like the Canon Loyalty program, where you can send in a camera in any condition (even broken) and get a hefty discount on a refurb of another model?

I keep wondering what I'll do if (when?! eek7.gif) my camera bites the dust - one of these months I'm going to get a second body, but not a chance at the moment .......... :yikes

Condolences to you. Hope at least that insurance comes up with enough that you can get something, even if not the D700 you were hoping for!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    ghinson wrote:

OMG, I feltsick to my stomach just reading that! You poor thing! I'm glad you seem to be ok though, physically anyway.