Canon Announces G11

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Cameras
DP Review:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Canon announces G11, tilt swivel screen, higher dynamic range, lower MP.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    I am actually fairly excited to see the formal reviews for this camera. It seems like a lot of important changes have been made that could be significant to how I shoot.

The 1/2000th flash sync would be wonderful for some situations, for instance. I am hopeful for a usable ISO 800 as well.

This seems to be the highlight for today's announcements from Canon. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I have to say, I'm more drawn to the new S90 - Elph form-factor, but with some of the manual and greater-control features of the G series.

Now, if only I had enough money to justify a new PnS at full price.... headscratch.gif
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Unfortunate there's no higher ISO samples on the Canon site.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I have to say, I'm more drawn to the new S90 - Elph form-factor, but with some of the manual and greater-control features of the G series.

nod.gif

I've been trying to justify the LX3, if this comes in a bit more reasonably I'll be sold.

I want a truly pocketable camera.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Nice. I figured we'd see one this September, more or less. But I'm still guessing that the image quality will be a little low for the high price tag. I lusted after the G10 every time I saw it in the store, but $500 for what amounts to a point and shoot was just too high. I'd hoped that Canon might have gotten shook up by Sigma and Olympus and somehow stuffed an APS-C sized sensor in the camera.

Its nice to see that they've not gone wild with the megapixels this time though. I think they listened to what people were asking for. Should be interesting to read the reviews when they pop up.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Did they reduce the resolution to 10MP?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I loved the S series...still got a dying S60. Manual controls, wide angle, and raw format, in your pocket. The appearance of the S90 is just what I need (if the reviews come in good).
    edited August 19, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Did they reduce the resolution to 10MP?

Looks like it. I guess they really attacked the low light performance with new sensor and NR improvements. I'm impressed that they took the leap from the ever increasing MP count and put R&D into other, perhaps more important areas.
  • LongStreetLongStreet Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Unless the low light performance is significantly increased, it's a step backwards from my G10 as far as I'm concerned.

Smaller screen (the tilt-swivel does nothing for me), reduced resolution and a much "fatter" cross section are hardley what I would call a step forward.

What the G11 really needed was a bigger sensor and a real viewfinder with informational display.

Now THAT would have been a step up.

Keep in mind though, that my jaded opinion really lies with how I use my G10. As a minimalist street photography camera, and backup to my rangefinders.

I set one of the custom presets on this camera to hold the zoom at 35mm equivalent, and focus at 12 feet, and restrict the ISO to 400 max. Then I pop a Voigtlander 35mm viewfinder into the shoe and have a blast.
    Tony Juliano
    LongStreet Photography
    Pics - www.LongStreetPhotography.com
    Personal - www.TonyJuliano.com
    edited August 19, 2009
    LongStreet wrote:

What the G11 really needed was a bigger sensor and a real viewfinder with informational display.

That's what would have gotten me to buy it.:cry
    edited August 19, 2009
    That's what would have gotten me to buy it.:cry

That makes 2 of us.

I really had high hopes for what I thought Canon was going to roll out this time around.

I'm almost as disapointed with the G11 as I was with the Olympus Digital Pen I had a chance to test last week.

My last hope for someone getting this right now lies with Panasonic and their rumored GF1. I'm willing to bet at this point that they pull it off.
    Tony Juliano
    LongStreet Photography
  • BradJudyBradJudy Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I'm glad to see they tried to innovate with 10MP rather than just continue with more MPs. Yes, a larger sensor would have been great, and would have placed this onto a short list for me, but I didn't expect that to happen with this camera.

Owning a Canon A630, I can appreciate the flip screen. It's nice for self-portraits and using my pocket tripod while traveling. Not a required feature, but not a useless one for me.

Like everyone else, I'm interested to see what the high ISO images really look like.

The GF1 rumors definitely have me interested - I can't wait for confirmation and more info on that one.
    edited August 20, 2009
    The real news is the S90...

The faster lens (f/2 vs f/2.8) and "control ring" on this unit are really attractive. Why Canon did not incorporate these 2 improvements into the G11, I'll never know.
    Tony Juliano
    LongStreet Photography
    edited August 20, 2009
    LongStreet wrote:

The faster lens (f/2 vs f/2.8) and "control ring" on this unit are really attractive. Why Canon did not incorporate these 2 improvements into the G11, I'll never know.

If they made THE perfect camera, they would have to stop collecting $500 from people who upgrade every year. In fact, they'd just have to shut down the G series R&D team, lay them off, there would be a ripple effect and the economy would collapse.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    LongStreet wrote:

In the UK, one camera store is already advertizing it - it's priced at 449... POUNDS! That would make it over 700USD!

The LX3 is looking like very good value.
    edited August 21, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    In the UK, one camera store is already advertizing it - it's priced at 449... POUNDS! That would make it over 700USD!

The LX3 is looking like very good value.

It's priced in the "Colonies" at 449 US Dollars. I really don't get everyones fascination with the LX3. I had the chance to shot one for a few days and found it ok in most respects, but just ok, nothing stellar.
    Tony Juliano
    LongStreet Photography
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    LongStreet wrote:
    Unless the low light performance is significantly increased, it's a step backwards from my G10 as far as I'm concerned.

Now THAT would have been a step up.

amen to thatear.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Does anyone have hands-on experience with the G11?
    This is the only Dgrin thread I've found that talks about the G11. Are there others that I've missed?

When I try and search using "G11" it's too small a word (I would love it if there could be an exception for camera model numbers that could be incorporated into the search capability).

I've had about five G series cameras, with the latest being the G9, but I'm excited about the possibility of much improved low light, high ISO performance that the G11 may achieve. I much prefer available light to flash, but noise with the G series above ISO 400 has been discouraging.

Can someone point me to some actual examples of high ISO performance from the G11?

I'm also glad to see the articulated viewer back, since the ability hold a camera above one's head to see over a crowd, or to take pictures from a very low angle, or around an corner is something I've missed with the more recent G series cameras.

I use a 5D for serious photography, but I always have a G series p&S with me, and I'm ready to step up the the G11. I just need a bit more confirmation that it is what Canon seems to be promising.

Greetings to all. This is my first post in quite a while.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 5, 2009
    It is often best to use Google for searches and then to limit the scope of the Google search with boolean operators and code.

For example, to search just "DGrin" forums you would use, '"+site: dgrin.com"' to limit the search to just the Digital Grin forums. Then to add a boolean search to this add, "+g11". The "plus sign" tells Google that any included pages "must" include the search term, in this case, "g11".

(Do not include the double quotes when you type in these terms.)

Here is a sample search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2Bsite:dgrin.com+%2Bg11&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

For sample images I was able to use Google Images and search for the terms "+sample +g11 +ISO +800", which gives both pertinent results as well as extraneous results (so you have to use some common sense to determine which results apply to your interests.)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=%2Bsample+%2Bg11+%2BISO+%2B800&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thank you, Ziggy!
    Fast, and complete.

:D