Tin Cup Store

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 21, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Store located in Tincup, CO
Randy

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Great stuff. The way the gas pump has become more of a statue in a small rock garden is fantastic!! Love the new USPS sticker on the mailbox.

Only nit here is that the name first one isn't quite as crisp as so much of your work. Love the image anyway, but when I see the white "Tin Cup" at the top, its a little soft. jpeg compression? HDR artifact?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Yet another nice set of images. You are..... posting tons. :D But thats good.

Black and white skies. Interesting effect. Maybe you spoke to that in
    another thread but I have missed it.
    Michael
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Great stuff. The way the gas pump has become more of a statue in a small rock garden is fantastic!! Love the new USPS sticker on the mailbox.

Only nit here is that the name first one isn't quite as crisp as so much of your work. Love the image anyway, but when I see the white "Tin Cup" at the top, its a little soft. jpeg compression? HDR artifact?

Hey Andrew,

Probably a little of both. I don't follow any "rules" when I process my stuff (for fun anyway) so don't be surprised what you might wind-up seeing :D

I do appreciate you bringing the issue up though thumb.gif - The way I've been running through these images no telling what may get through.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Yet another nice set of images. You are..... posting tons. :D But thats good.

Black and white skies. Interesting effect. Maybe you spoke to that in
    another thread but I have missed it.

Yeah, I hope that I don't get a "posting too much" citation rolleyes1.gif

I'm not doing selective color, I'm not a fan of that. This process desaturates blues pretty heavily, maybe too much, but at the moment I like it for these images.

I appreciate your input!
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Howdy RAndy
    This set is indeed very nice. Haven't seen one of those mail pick-up boxes in more years than I care to remember! :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 21, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howdy RAndy
    This set is indeed very nice. Haven't seen one of those mail pick-up boxes in more years than I care to remember! :D

My appologies for missing your post Jack, and thank you for the comment.

Let's not get on the "more years than I care to remember" topic rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I like thumb.gifclap.gif

What is #4? Is it a gas pump? That bugger must date way back in time. Looks like there still might be mail service there. I like your treatment on all your photos here. You did them all in the same color hue which makes the eye follow through them easily.

Tincup, CO -- never been there, but the name is really intriguing. Next time I'm out to visit my son I'll have to visit some of these wonderful places you went to.
    edited August 21, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like thumb.gifclap.gif

What is #4? Is it a gas pump? That bugger must date way back in time. Looks like there still might be mail service there. I like your treatment on all your photos here. You did them all in the same color hue which makes the eye follow through them easily.

Tincup, CO -- never been there, but the name is really intriguing. Next time I'm out to visit my son I'll have to visit some of these wonderful places you went to.

Hey Mary,

That's a gravity feed gas pump. You can see the full pump in pics #1 & #2. A gas station attendant manually pumped gas up in the head to the "0" mark. Then, gravity would allow it to flow into the gas tank via a gas hose and nozzle. When the tank was full the attendant would look at how many gallons were used.

There is still some uncertainty of how the town came by the name of Tincup. The leading theory is that a miner came in to the assayers office with a gold nugget in a "tin cup".

Aside from that, this was one of the highest producing mining districts in Colorado. And for a 6 year period, was reportedly the deadliest Western town around.

I've been picking up info on this town for over 15 years, and I own one of two books that were written about it's history from a second generation Tincup resident. The town is just oozing with rich history and most of the original homes/building are still there from the late 1800's. I've looked at my images of the town and compared them with original 1800's photos and it's remarkably near unchanged.

If you get a chance to visit, you won't be disappointed. Also, that means you'll be going through Taylor Park, where most of the images I've posted the last couple days were taken.
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Mary,

That's a gravity feed gas pump. You can see the full pump in pics #1 & #2. A gas station attendant manually pumped gas up in the head to the "0" mark. Then, gravity would allow it to flow into the gas tank via a gas hose and nozzle. When the tank was full the attendant would look at how many gallons were used.

There is still some uncertainty of how the town came by the name of Tincup. The leading theory is that a miner came in to the assayers office with a gold nugget in a "tin cup".

Aside from that, this was one of the highest producing mining districts in Colorado. And for a 6 year period, was reportedly the deadliest Western town around.

I've been picking up info on this town for over 15 years, and I own one of two books that were written about it's history from a second generation Tincup resident. The town is just oozing with rich history and most of the original homes/building are still there from the late 1800's. I've looked at my images of the town and compared them with original 1800's photos and it's remarkably near unchanged.

If you get a chance to visit, you won't be disappointed. Also, that means you'll be going through Taylor Park, where most of the images I've posted the last couple days were taken.

Very interesting about the gas pump.

Yeah....looks like I'm heading to Taylor Park on my next visit to CO. We usually go every year. Now I'm off to look up Tincup --- I really like that name :D