The Good Life...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 19, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Randy

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Cool image. The red rooftop to the far left draws me away (perhaps desaturate it or something). The ominous clouds especially relative to your title are wonderful.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Randy-

I have to agree on the red roof--otherwise, I love this shot. The lines on the cabin are nice and crisp, the sky gives lots of texture and dimension, and the desaturated processing gives a great retro feel. Great image!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Cool image. The red rooftop to the far left draws me away (perhaps desaturate it or something). The ominous clouds especially relative to your title are wonderful.

See, I listen to ya'll ~ I took care of the red roof :D

Thanks for the input Andrew
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Randy-

I have to agree on the red roof--otherwise, I love this shot. The lines on the cabin are nice and crisp, the sky gives lots of texture and dimension, and the desaturated processing gives a great retro feel. Great image!

Lauren

Lauren,

Where you been girl?

As I stated to Andrew, I took care of that red roof thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments and nice words.
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    See, I listen to ya'll ~ I took care of the red roof :D

Thanks for the input Andrew

I'm all-in now!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Howdy Randy
    Boy you sure are loving that HDR and I'm loving all of your recent posts. clap.gifclap.gif

I didn't see the original but for what it's worth, whatever you did to the red roof must have fixed it cause it's no problem now.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 19, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howdy Randy
    Boy you sure are loving that HDR and I'm loving all of your recent posts. clap.gifclap.gif

I didn't see the original but for what it's worth, whatever you did to the red roof must have fixed it cause it's no problem now.

Hey Mr. Jack,

Actually, I've hardly used any HDR lately. I did use HDR on the church shot, but all these are just processed in LR2, with the exception for a quick trip into CS2 for the watermark.

Can someone tell me how to create & save a "watermark preset" in LR2? Please...

I've handcuffed myself to LR2 to learn what it can and can't do.

Thanks for the kind words, and hang in there gang, I'm almost through processing my Colorado trip shots, then I'll go back into the closet rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Mr. Jack,

Actually, I've hardly used any HDR lately. I did use HDR on the church shot, but all these are just processed in LR2, with the exception for a quick trip into CS2 for the watermark.

Thanks for the kind words, and hang in there gang, I'm almost through processing my Colorado trip shots, then I'll go back into the closet rolleyes1.gif

I bought (you donate what you want) the morgify LR2 plugin, that, amoung other things allows adding watermarks and graphical watermarks.

http://www.timothyarmes.com/metoyou.php?lang=en-gb&sec=tools

-a
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 19, 2009
    Randy,

Like the new version!

Multiple reasons for my absence, one of which is discouragement with my efforts!! Just got back from a family trip to New Orleans and was quite uninspired by my shots. I did have a great time, which was the real reason for going--to celebrate my in-laws' 60th anniversary!!

Now, I'm reading more, shopping for some new glass, and headed to Puerto Rico in 2 weeks--if I don't get a nice shot there it will be because my eyes are closed and it's pitch black. Or because I have to leave early to escape a hurricane.

Anyway, thanks for asking 'bout me. Any encouraging words you want to send my way? :D

How are your web site and gallery projects coming?

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I bought (you donate what you want) the morgify LR2 plugin, that, amoung other things allows adding watermarks and graphical watermarks.

http://www.timothyarmes.com/metoyou.php?lang=en-gb&sec=tools

-a

Thanks Andrew,

That's gonna' save me a lot of time thumb.gif
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Howdy Randy,

This is really a wonderful image, so many underlying details, and the storm brewing in the back makes it so powerful.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited August 19, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Randy,

Like the new version!

Multiple reasons for my absence, one of which is discouragement with my efforts!! Just got back from a family trip to New Orleans and was quite uninspired by my shots. I did have a great time, which was the real reason for going--to celebrate my in-laws' 60th anniversary!!

Now, I'm reading more, shopping for some new glass, and headed to Puerto Rico in 2 weeks--if I don't get a nice shot there it will be because my eyes are closed and it's pitch black. Or because I have to leave early to escape a hurricane.

Anyway, thanks for asking 'bout me. Any encouraging words you want to send my way? :D

How are your web site and gallery projects coming?

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren,

Your too wound up about your photography progress. It's gonna' happen, but not overnight.

I've been shooting off and on for 35+ years, and there's photogs here that make me want to throw my gear in the trash. That's a natural cycle for a photographer, all photographers...

Just go have fun, shoot lots of pics, let what you know take over naturally. If you can, enjoy/review your pics nightly and make any bonehead adjustments the next day rolleyes1.gif

There's no "magic" lens or camera. You've got good equipment. Pushing that button over and over and over is what's going to make you better.

Now, get out there and have fun thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Randy,

This is really a wonderful image, so many underlying details, and the storm brewing in the back makes it so powerful.

Very nicely done!!!

Thanks Craig for the nice words,

I'll admit that I like this image quite a bit.
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    bowdown.gif:D and "Thanks!"

I've actually been shooting for as long as you have, but only seriously lately. And yes, I am a perfectionist . . .

I'll start posting more also, which definitely helps me learn!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Very nice! Beautiful!

I wish I had that good life! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Mr. Jack,

Wow, now I have a conundrum. I am about to upgrade from CS3 to CS4 (Standard editions) (I really like how Adobe Bridge and ACR and PS3 intercommunicate. But LR2 looks to be pretty powerful and a little cheaper than the upgrade would be.) I'm just getting real comfortable with my setup and the thought of starting all over again is a bit daunting. Just don't know what to do. Any thoughts? Have you done the Bridge ->ACR->PS routine, and if so how does LR2 compare in terms of ease of use?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 19, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Wow, now I have a conundrum. I am about to upgrade from CS3 to CS4 (Standard editions) (I really like how Adobe Bridge and ACR and PS3 intercommunicate. But LR2 looks to be pretty powerful and a little cheaper than the upgrade would be.) I'm just getting real comfortable with my setup and the thought of starting all over again is a bit daunting. Just don't know what to do. Any thoughts? Have you done the Bridge ->ACR->PS routine, and if so how does LR2 compare in terms of ease of use?

Jack,

You really should be asking some of the smart people on this board these questions.

But, here's what I know...

I used Bridge -> ACR -> CS2

I didn't like Bridge all that much, matter of fact, I didn't really like it at all & it was real slow on my systems. ACR, nothing fancy there, just a RAW converter, at least in my version. I still use CS2 when I need to.

LR2: I find it fairly fast on my system. It's easy to use. Once you have all your preference settings done and your photo storage setup, you download your images into LR2 & even if they are in RAW, you just start processing your images to taste and LR2 keeps an "original" version that you can always go back to if you want, non-destructively without "layers". You can upload to dgrin, flickr, or whatnot directly within LR2.

I personally find the "tools" a little awkward/sloppy to use in LR2. Like the clone tool & some others. This is when I'll switch to CS2. Probability is that I still don't know how to use all the tools correctly. That LR2 Scott Kelby book that's on my desk hasn't done me a bit of good, especially since I haven't taken the time to crack it open yet headscratch.gif

To me, what is REALLY GREAT about LR2 is all the adjustment sliders are right there in the Develop section. Just go crazy with those sliders to see what they actually do. It's VERY EASY!!!

I HATED to learn a new software program. That's why I've handcuffed myself to it, so that I will HAVE to learn it.

All this is probably of little to no use, but you can keep it all the same deal.gif
    Randy