Options

question for the film buff's out there

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Finishing School
question that i've ALWAYS wondered

I have only shot film with P&S cameras back in the day, and of course sent the film roll to walmart, waited three days, then had my pictures. But i've been reading about the development process, just for s&g's and I know that it's chemicals etc..and I get that part but what I can't for the life of me find or figure out is how does the image get from the negative to the paper? I just don't get it. :scratch

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    You project a light beam through the negative in an enlarger, out through a lens and focus the image on a sheet of printing paper, that then creates a new negative image of the negative from the camera --> a positive B&W image. Color images are really just three B&W images in one frame.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    A little more info.
    lilmomma wrote:
    question that i've ALWAYS wondered

I have only shot film with P&S cameras back in the day, and of course sent the film roll to walmart, waited three days, then had my pictures. But i've been reading about the development process, just for s&g's and I know that it's chemicals etc..and I get that part but what I can't for the life of me find or figure out is how does the image get from the negative to the paper? I just don't get it. headscratch.gif

PRINTING THE NEGATIVE

photo_enlarger_printing_negatives.jpg
    Print is made from a a negative plate or film by projecting the negative image onto the light sensitive material.

This printing by enlarging is done in the normal photographic manner in an ordinary photo enlarger as shown in figure where the photo negative B under the lamp A is projected at any desired size by means of lens C onto the coated light sensitive material shown as D.

The light sensitive paper is made by coating paper or any material or object with a photo emulsion

you can make pictures on plates, stones, eggs, wood, metal, plastics, cloth, canvas, sea shells, etc. The possibilities are endless. Process the exposed positive material in a similar manner as given for processing the negative.

Hope it helps