Washing the mountains

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 21, 2009 in Landscapes
Randy

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Oh my goodness that is so scary! I find my eyes squinting to see the lower bottom and I really want to see the spot of lighted trees on the left a bit more. This would probably be easier to see on a huge print hanging on a wall. I'm no expert but imho i don't think i would crop or lose anything from this picture in fear of detracting from the drama. but I can't see the bottom that well. It's as if it is begging to be bigger? What to do? This is really pulling me in! clap.gif
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Wow! That is one dramatic image right there! Well done.thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Oh my goodness that is so scary! I find my eyes squinting to see the lower bottom and I really want to see the spot of lighted trees on the left a bit more. This would probably be easier to see on a huge print hanging on a wall. I'm no expert but imho i don't think i would crop or lose anything from this picture in fear of detracting from the drama. but I can't see the bottom that well. It's as if it is begging to be bigger? What to do? This is really pulling me in! clap.gif

Glad the image held your attention ~ thanks for commenting
    Randy
    edited August 19, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Wow! That is one dramatic image right there! Well done.thumb.gif

Thanks Bryan,

It was an impressive storm. Wish I could have captured (in camera) some of the massive lightning the storm produced. I had just jumped in the vehicle from fly fishing.
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I like your choice of processing in this photo. It really emphasis's the clouds. The sunlight on the trees ... well that's an added bonus thumb.gif
    edited August 19, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like your choice of processing in this photo. It really emphasis's the clouds. The sunlight on the trees ... well that's an added bonus thumb.gif

Appreciate that Mary
    Randy
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Great job capturing the mood. I really like the light pattern, how it seems to be sneaking in the right side.
    edited August 20, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Great job capturing the mood. I really like the light pattern, how it seems to be sneaking in the right side.

Thanks Chris,

Yeah, sometimes in these storms you get some unique lighting.
    Randy
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Randy,
    Nice drama you captured. The rendition seems a little magenta cast to me. Was that how the scene played out before you?

Thanks,

M
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Very dramatic with great clouds, Randy. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited August 20, 2009
    Randy,
    Nice drama you captured. The rendition seems a little magenta cast to me. Was that how the scene played out before you?

Thanks,

M

No, it was the usual storm/mountains blue/green/black. This was just the processing I used to emphasize the clouds. Kind of inline with a lot of the other shots I processed from this trip. Middle of the night processing rut I guess.

Thanks for the interest and the comments
    Randy
    edited August 20, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Very dramatic with great clouds, Randy. Nice job! thumb.gif

I appreciate the input Mahesh
    Randy
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks Bryan,

It was an impressive storm. Wish I could have captured (in camera) some of the massive lightning the storm produced. I had just jumped in the vehicle from fly fishing.

You are shooting with the 5D, correct? Video! :D

I love this image, totally. Frightening and dramatic and all kindsa good. Hope you stayed dry!
    edited August 20, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    You are shooting with the 5D, correct? Video! :D

I love this image, totally. Frightening and dramatic and all kindsa good. Hope you stayed dry!

Yep, 5D2

You're gonna laugh. ~ While shooting the trains in NM my grandson reminded me that my camera takes video. Another train was coming in, so I skidded into a parking spot jumped out and left them in the vehicle, ran to get the "video" shot. Did a great job of smooth panning and zooming to follow the train all the way in.

I get back into the vehicle & they want to see the great video. I pull it up, hit play, and what do you know... A perfect video of the ground as I'm walking back to the vehicle rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Needless to say ~ I hadn't used the video before :D
    Randy
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Yep, 5D2

You're gonna laugh. ~ While shooting the trains in NM my grandson reminded me that my camera takes video. Another train was coming in, so I skidded into a parking spot jumped out and left them in the vehicle, ran to get the "video" shot. Did a great job of smooth panning and zooming to follow the train all the way in.

I get back into the vehicle & they want to see the great video. I pull it up, hit play, and what do you know... A perfect video of the ground as I'm walking back to the vehicle rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Needless to say ~ I hadn't used the video before :D

lol3.gif well live and learn and it sounds like it was a great bonding experience with your grandson. :D

It took me forever to figure out how to even get the video to start recording, so you did really well!
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I don't have anything to add besides your photos are exceptional and I'm growing increasingly jealous of where you live.
    edited August 20, 2009
    SKnight wrote:
    I don't have anything to add besides your photos are exceptional and I'm growing increasingly jealous of where you live.

Oh, you have been led down the wrong path eek7.gif

I don't live in beautiful Colorado (yet), I live in the flat, hot, ugly, crowded part of the world called D/FW Texas :cry

Thank you for your kind words about my work though.
    Randy
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    :giggle OK I feel better about living near Atlanta now! No lack of photo material, but I just don't care. I'd rather be shooting what you've been putting up this week!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Very dramatic sky there Randy! A great title would be "I AM" :D

Nicely processed as well. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited August 21, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Very dramatic sky there Randy! A great title would be "I AM" :D

Nicely processed as well. thumb.gif

Thank you Mr. Dave

I'm missed seeing your images lately, hope all is well in Daveland.
    Randy