Selective Focus Effect - Thanks, Ziggy

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
To: Ziggy and brvheart

Here are a couple of shots I processed using Ziggy's instructions for achieving a selective focus effect--see brvheart's "Love of a Father's Hand" thread. These were done pretty quickly, more to learn the process than to turn out the best image. In the dog shot, I put the focus on the main part of his face and then brightened up the eyes a tad. The effect on the flag shot is more subtle; I put the focus on the blue field, carrying it into the stripes just a bit--I realize too that there is too much empty space but my intent was to show the possibility of this effect since I was asked to post my results.

Like I said, not great but I was pleased to learn a new process and I do think it is one I will use. I learned that it probably works best with a simple subject and background--hard for me to find because my images tend to have a lot of both. :D

Lauren

624805764_JKzjJ-XL.jpg

624798929_p9XKu-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I really like these thumb.gif The dog is fantastic.

I'd love to do some of these on my dogs photos, but I didn't see Ziggys instructions. Could you guide me towards it please :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Sorry--here is the link to the original thread. Ziggy's instructions are spelled out for Photoshop.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=138880

dogdots - Please post your results too. Maybe we can start a thread for this specific topic and see what other folks come up with.

Here is another dog shot. Needs some attention to detail but it gives you a good idea of how your canines might look!

624797630_Bmo4Y-XL.jpg
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thank Lauren thumb.gif

I'll give it a try and then post my results.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Hey Lauren,

This process certainly makes me think " In Memory Of ".

Just something to keep in mind if your processing an image of grandma on her birthday rolleyes1.gif

I do think you've got it down pretty good though thumb.gif
    Randy