Help Me Salvage These

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited August 20, 2009 in People
I've been working on these tonight and feel like I'm "close", but just not "there" yet...any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's the first one:

624843732_3EYEZ-X2.jpg

And the second one is:

624843583_25U3f-XL.jpg

Again, thanks for the help.

Jerry
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I will let someone else help you on the first one, but I think I can help you a little bit with the second one.

1) The reflection on the first guys glasses on the right need to be taken care of.

2) IMHO, your over all flash is too strong. It needs to be a bit softer I think.

3) Your composition on the second one is very good!clap.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    yeah, #2 is definitely the stronger shot. have you played around with levels and curves yet? that might help work some of the flash issues out.

i'll be curious to see what the result is!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Are you shooting in RAW? I think you could bring down the flash levels without too much trouble, and #2 is pretty cool shot. #1, I'm not sure I'd spend too much time on that one. If you do, perhaps darken the line between guys 3 and 4. I just think the light fall off is pretty bad in #1.

I hope this is what you were asking for, but here's my take on #2. I feel most comfortable in lightroom, so that's what I used, It might not be the best edit, but I'm a bit blind when it comes to skin tones anyway.ne_nau.gif
    624843583_25U3f-XL-Edit.jpg

What I did was decrease exposure about 1.3 stops. This might have washed the faces out a bit much. Not sure. I added some fill light and I increased the contrast with the curves tool in LR2 and upped the blacks slightly to bring the coats back up a bit. In photoshop (and I'm not a wiz) I cloned the flash areas, then drew the missing pieces of the glasses frame back in on a seperate layer. I applied about 0.5 points worth of gaussian blur. I was moving rather fast, so I can tell its not perfect by far.

I probably didn't do as good a job as many of the others on this site, but maybe this will give you some ideas about what else to try?
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    yeah, #2 is definitely the stronger shot. have you played around with levels and curves yet? that might help work some of the flash issues out.

i'll be curious to see what the result is!

Is this heading in the right direction?

625226994_JqpJ3-XL.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I think either edit is a big boost to the image. Your edit recovers the natural look of the image. The other edit works because its high contrast creates that edgy look that the angle and their wardrobe convey.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Is this a band by the way? I certainly think your low angle on #2 and their appearance brings to mind a band.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Is this a band by the way? I certainly think your low angle on #2 and their appearance brings to mind a band.

After your processing, they should be getting a record deal even if they aren't.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Is this heading in the right direction?

Yes, but I'd go more into evening their skin tones. Some are a little on the red side while others on the browns. Group pictures are a real challenge for me too.
  • Racerx7734Racerx7734 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I've been working on these tonight and feel like I'm "close", but just not "there" yet...any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's the first one:

624843732_3EYEZ-X2.jpg

And the second one is:

624843583_25U3f-XL.jpg

Again, thanks for the help.

Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Call me strange, but I actually like the second one. It is a tad to washed out, but I think that lends to the "rockstar" type of vibe, bright lights, superstars and such.

Maybe just clean up a few minor details like the glasses, and drop the contrast down a little.

My 2 cents