focusing screen

urteurte Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Holy Macro
I wondered if you just use the standard focusing screen and viewer or do you use another or an add on for macros?

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Katz Eye Optics
    Coming from shooting film for decades, I miss the split prism viewfinder (plus the larger size, but that's another thread) when using my crop-sensor DSLR.

About 4 months ago I ordered a top of the line viewfinder screen from Katz Eye Optics. It has enhanced brightness that doesn't black out until f 11 or so. The split prism is very effective for closeups which I usually manually focus (or tweak manually).

Pricey but worth it.

M
  • SlowhandSlowhand Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    urte wrote:
    I wondered if you just use the standard focusing screen and viewer or do you use another or an add on for macros?
    When I was still in posession of my film Olympus bodies I found the special focussing screen for macro a big, big help. It was brighter and the image jumped into focus. Now with my digital Olympus E-510 I use life-view for coarse focussing and the built-in 7x magnifier in life-view for the final adjustment. (But this won't work with life insects outdoors). So for indoors photography I don't miss it at all. Outdoors my macro only goes to 1:1 and I find my standard viewfinder sufficient.