Nikon D70,classic camera?

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Cameras
I noticed that a lot of people stil use the Nikon D70 camera, many of course converted for IR use. I was remembering the past and thought about how much I've enjoyed my D70. I bought it right after it came out and mine is now 5 1/2 years old. It took me a while to pick it, and I was looking at the Canon Rebel, having no brand loyalty or expereince with either prior to my purchase. What it came down to was that to me, the D70 seemed like a lot more camera. The flash capabilities were better, the body felt better, the layout and design felt better (single command dials feels really cheap to me) and even today, I feel that the D70 is an extremely competent camera, especially when it comes down to its high flash sync speed (virtually unlimited) and other features. I often find it better suited to the skateboarding shots I take than my D300. I consider it the "gateway drug" to Nikon's lineup (the D300 that I'm extremely pleased with), and I've never wished I'd gone with any other maker, (or the Canon Rebel that I was considering at one time)

I'm curious to hear what people are doing with their D70's. Still using them routinely? IR use? Backup? Primary? How do you think your D70 holds up to what else is out there? What prompted you to buy your D70?

I unfortunately did not keep up with the shots I took from the beginning, but here are a couple of shots taken with my D70 that I rather like. I'd love to see yours.:lust

Taken while on a motorbike trip. Forgot to turn the ISO down.
DSC_5314.jpg

Taken while in Japan.
DSC_0903.jpg

For a while, my D70 was converted for IR usage. However, I missed having a second body for normal shots.
DSC_1238-Edit.jpg

One of the reasons I really like the D70 is for the high flash sync speed, 1/500th of a second. I've tried High Speed sync on the D300, but even with 3 or 4 SB-600's, the light range is not high enough to light up the skateboarders.
DSC_1381-Edit-Edit-1.jpg

DSC_2054.jpg

Comments

• Just0a0guyJust0a0guy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    DSC_1238-Edit.jpg
    I really like this IR shot. where did you get the conversion kit which options did you use? how much post processing was used on this pic? I have been thinking of picking up an old entry level camera and having it converted to IR just to play with it but it seems like the results vary significantly from each conversion process.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thanks! I used http://www.lifepixel.com/index.html for the IR filter. The D70 was pretty easy to convert, and I did it myself. It probalby took me about 20 minutes. The hardest part is keeping everything dust Free. As for PP, I did change the reddish hue to blue, and then went at it with some curves and sharpening.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Mine is gathering dust in my closet. My plan was to do an IR conversion, but I now also own a D700, D2Xs and a D200. I may just convert the D200 and hold onto the D70.

Like you, it was my first DSLR. I just thought it was the greatest thing at the time. I can remember my first few photos. I did manage to take some of my favorite shots with that camera during my first few years her on DGrin.

28034260_228XV-XL.jpg

24998205_S3Ugg-XL.jpg

220176593_NZVx9-XL.jpg
    edited August 21, 2009
    I thought there were more D70's in use out there. Oh well.

Anyway, I love your last two shots especially, though all three are good. I'm a sucker for waterfalls, and I think you had a pretty creative portrait lay out.

Thanks for sharing! Good luck on your IR conversion, no matter which camera you have converted.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    Trust me, there are plenty of Nikon D70 and D70s users out there. My father still has his and I shot with it last year.

I very nearly acquired a D70 as my first dSLR, and it was only a strange twist of fate that put a different camera in my hands. If I had gotten the D70 there is an awfully good chance that I would be a very happy Nikon shooter today.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 22, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Trust me, there are plenty of Nikon D70 and D70s users out there. My father still has his and I shot with it last year.

I very nearly acquired a D70 as my first dSLR, and it was only a strange twist of fate that put a different camera in my hands. If I had gotten the D70 there is an awfully good chance that I would be a very happy Nikon shooter today.

Instead of an unhappy Canon shooter?

Just kidding. My mom has a Canon film camera, but she's never made the switch over to digital. I nearly bought her one of the rebels, but she really doens't want it. Doesn't shoot much any more. I've got nothing against canon.:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 22, 2009
    Instead of an unhappy Canon shooter?

Just kidding. My mom has a Canon film camera, but she's never made the switch over to digital. I nearly bought her one of the rebels, but she really doens't want it. Doesn't shoot much any more. I've got nothing against canon.:D

After a long time using film, almost any modern dSLR from any manufacturer is an improvement.

Yes, I'm a fairly happy Canon user. (I certainly have a lot invested in Canon so I might as well be, eh? mwink.gif )
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I actually bought my first D70 as a back-up after purchasing and using the D200. I liked the camera so much, I bought a second one for my then 13 y/o son to use. When it came time to let a camera go he voted to keep the D70S he was using and I sold the D200. The D70 is a terrific camera for everyday play or even getting down to business with!thumb.gif
    tom wise