Advice needed....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 20, 2009 in People
If you had to walk at least 1 mile into a shoot for a senior shoot...what would be the things you would absolutely carry? Knowing that the trail is groomed but not paved...and there might be some steep areas to navigate.

I do have a back pack (with rollers) that can carry most of my gear ...but I wonder if bringing my back up camera and my telephoto lens will be necessary. I seem to tend to like to be prepared for anything. Especially the occasional wildlife in the distance (although I know that is off the main subject of the senior but if you saw a bear in the distance what would you do??)...besides run that is....lol.:wink

I have done senior portraits before but its either been in my studio or at another building location where I have had controled lighting for the most part. Never this far out in the wilderness. Any other suggestions of things to bring or not bring would be good. Here is the list of things in my backpack....

Nikon D300 w/ extra power pack
Nikon D50(backup)
Nikor 18-50mm
Sigma 55-200mm
Tameron 200-500mm
SB800 flash
monopod
lots of extra batteries
extra flash cards
various small knick knacks and filters

I was thinking on also bringing these things...
1 tripod
1 reflector
1 small towel (for senior to sit on)
1 reluctant husband to help me carry it all

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    My thoughts:
    • With a 1.5x "crop factor" on your D300, I don't think you'll need or use the 200-500, so I would leave that at home.
    • I don't know what you mean by "lots of extra batteries", but I think I would bring one spare battery for the camera(s), and one extra set for the flash.
    • Filters and knick-knacks - I think I would limit the filter selection to a single CP and, even then, I don't think it'll get used.
    • I would bring some gels cut to fit the flash - both blue and orange - about 1/4 density. Some tape to afix the gel(s) to the flashhead
    • Not sure what use you would make of the tripod, especially if you also have the mono-pod. You'll have either your DH or a parent of the senior to help hold the reflector/flash, etc.
    • The mono-pod would be useful, especially if you are using longer focal lengths
    • One thing missing from your list - water. You don't need as much there (65°F - you're so lucky!) as one would here (92°F, dewpoint between 60°F and 72°F), but bringing water is always a good idea.
    • A couple or three zip-lock plastic bags for trash, etc - remember, zero footprint! If you pack it in, pack it out!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Of course, I'm a total newb so feel free to disregard my ideas here, but would it be terrible if you went the simple/minimalist route?

If it were me with my 40D, I'd bring (in an ideal world) a 70-200, a 50mm and an 85mm, a spare battery and extra CF card, a reflector or two, and a reflector buddy (or two). Of course, water and something for the subject to sit on are important as well.

I guess that as a newcomer to the field it seems to me that people rely on flash a little more than they need to, while a reflector can really provide nice light in certain outdoor settings. It seems that an exercise in getting away from your go-to equipment and working with something else can only improve your skills, and the mile hike might be a good opportunity for that!

Of course I realize that trying something out of your routine with a paying client might not be the best plan. :D Just an idea, though.

Worst case scenario: a mile isn't that far. It should be a 15 to 20 minute walk. Just bring everything (including the load-bearing husband) if that's what you're most comfortable with. If having all your equipment is going to make you confident when you shoot, then it's important.

But for me personally, a reflector is a must in an outdoor shoot.

Here are a couple examples shots with of just available light and a reflector:

506241576_Tfgiq-M.jpg

One side of the face is a little dark for some people's tastes, a second reflector or diffused on-camera flash would help that...
    610583210_qfvBq-M.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I'm not sure what you mean by power pack? Grip or battery? If its the grip, consider stripping that off to save weight. If you do mean a battery, then yes, I'd take that.

I'm also not sure I'd put that much concern for the SB-800. Its been my experience thats its pretty difficult to get those things to fire outside using the onboard camera flash. If you have had better luck or like using them only as on camera flashes, then take it. For me though, I'd probably leave it behind UNLESS you take the reflector as well.

I'd also leave the 200-500 behind. Unless your subject doesn't actually know you are shooting them and you are some sort of paparazzi, I think you can get by with the sub-200 range. I'd bet that lense is one of the heaviest single things you've got.

Now for me, I've done a considerable amount of walking with 70+ pounds of photo and other equipment on my back. It wasn't particulary easy, but its not too bad. I think a mile shouldn't be too bad, as pointed out. If you do see that bear though, at least you'll have plenty of stuff to throw behind to distract him (200-500mm lenses, tripods, SB-800's, seniors, etc) while you run like crazy.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 20, 2009
    :D Thanks for your responses. Although its hard for me to leave something behind, I will leave out the Tameron. As for the SB800...I wasnt sure about that as I have never really used it outside much except for a senior shoot I did at sunset last year. But today is SUPPOSE to be sunny and parts of this particular trail will be in dappled light. I am confortable not using it but unconfortable leaving it as the weather is quite unpredictable here. I do have 3 gels for the flash...a blue, amber and green. And as for the flash not consistant in firing when off camera. I actually have a cord that attaches to my hotshoe. This is where the tripod comes in. I usually attach the flash to the tripod and have someone move the tripod with me if needed. My lil one is good at helping with that.

As for the reflector....I never leave home without it!thumb.gif Thanks for the reminder Scott about the water. I didn't have that on my final list. I shouldn't have to pack that for the senior and her family too should I?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    As for the reflector....I never leave home without it!thumb.gif Thanks for the reminder Scott about the water. I didn't have that on my final list. I shouldn't have to pack that for the senior and her family too should I?
    Alaskans tend to be a different breed of people - quite a bit more self-reliant so I don't really see the need for you to pack their stuff in addition to your equipment. But, at the very least, I would suggest to them that they need to consider their needs for the trail.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 20, 2009
    Alaskans tend to be a different breed of people - quite a bit more self-reliant so I don't really see the need for you to pack their stuff in addition to your equipment. But, at the very least, I would suggest to them that they need to consider their needs for the trail.

Your right about that. I really do not know anything about this family and I only talked with her parent for the first time last night. I was getting alittle nervious that all the correspondence up to that point was a 17 year old and I had sent her not only the contract (for her parents to sign) and pricelist, but a list of things for her to bring. I unfortunately didnt mention water. I guess its a given for most people to bring it.

I am sure everything will be fine.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    If I had to hike for an hour to do a senior shoot I would first of all make it worth my effort. Meanng charge accordingly for my time!!!!!!!! Hiking is time. Have you heard of the Camera Slinger. A nifty strap for carrying two cameras in a strap device that distributes weight over your back, shoulder area. I would look into that. Two cameras with one flash, four batteries new in the flash and four more in my pocket. A two sided reflector, white and silver. I would skip the tripod for the hike. Just my thoughts. They would prep in their needed way.