Strange question — R/C helicopter camera

hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Cameras
Question ... other than the rugged-ish and approximately 2-ounce 1.3mp "FlyCamOne2" or the marginally similarly featured 1-ounce "Etech Rotate FlyCam 2.0", does anyone know of any small digital cameras capable of being set for continuous photo taking (say once every 5 seconds) or being set to do video, for remote control helicopter hobby use? Inexpensive is the keyword here due to potential R/C vehicle crashes.

I just started using the FlyCamOne2 and it does a so-so (poor to my photographic eye) job at a current delivered cost of about $75 (the Rotate FlyCam is similarly priced when delivered). Both also have servo-rotatable heads. Photos and video are marginally adequate but really are not that good, nowhere near the resolution one would get if a heavier point and shoot digital were mounted to the skids — but I do not fly the large pro R/C choppers (extreme cost is the factor here ... I'd rather pay the food bill and purchase the occasional lens!) and both weight and an even more expensive crash-loss are considerations.

Obviously, using a designated photo platform like a "Bergen R/C Helicopter" would solve the problem ... but not the financial and extreme skill required problems! Dream on, Henry ....
— Henry —
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Comments

• SchorschiSchorschi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2009
    Try Canon CHDK
    Henry,

Check out the CHDK hack platform for Canon's P&S range of cameras. It is a fascinating way of extending the functionality of these little critters. Anything from shooting RAW, time-lapse, bracketing, and - for your needs - scripting is possible.

I have shot a few time-lapse videos with CHDK using scripts others had created.

It is not exactly easy to get into, but for the results it's well worth the effort.

You install CHDK on the memory card and then activate it via the menu.

Georg
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Thank you ... while I am familiar with CHDK, I had not thought about using it with scripts to shoot every few seconds, and that is something I may very well try if I go to a larger RC chopper with more lift so I can use a hacked Canon P&S. Ideally, though, I would like to find something in the 5+ mp size with 720p video and an extremely light weight and small size (under 4 oz or so).

BTW, welcome to dGrin!
    — Henry —
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 25, 2009
    Schorschi wrote:
    Henry,

Check out the CHDK hack platform for Canon's P&S range of cameras. It is a fascinating way of extending the functionality of these little critters. Anything from shooting RAW, time-lapse, bracketing, and - for your needs - scripting is possible.

I have shot a few time-lapse videos with CHDK using scripts others had created.

It is not exactly easy to get into, but for the results it's well worth the effort.

You install CHDK on the memory card and then activate it via the menu.

Georg

Schorschi, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the suggestion.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Ideally, though, I would like to find something in the 5+ mp size with 720p video and an extremely light weight and small size (under 4 oz or so).

BTW, welcome to dGrin!

Upping the resolution isn't going to make the images better. The biggest problem is the size. Without the camera (sensor) getting larger, the image isn't going to improve. Sure, some cameras are better than others but I don't think you are going to find a DP review of these types of cameras, and megapixels are not going to tell you squat.

BTW: are you a DIYer? And do you need pan and tilt or just the ability to press the record button while on the ground? I know a place for very cheap self contained video cameras that claim 720p. But as I said before they image really isn't improved.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Hey Henry check out this kids site and I do mean kid, he's only 22 years old now but has been selling aerial images since he was 19 years old. To say he's brilliant I believe is an understatement since AFAIK he builds all his RCs and components to control the cameras himself. He started out with a G9 then to a 450D, his last build involved a 50ft. mast and a 40D with zoom as well as pan and tilt capabilities.

http://www.horizonimaging.net/

If you want to know more about him just ask and I'll PM you some more details.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Thank you John and Christian for your replies. I have done some pole/mast shooting myself, in ancient times during my film days, but have never risked quality cameras to my rather poor RC flying skills with smaller craft. Hence the need for a light weight and small, but good "pitchurtakin" camera.

Even the "RC Hero" I found online http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=27, which produces significantly better photos than the FlyCamOne2, is not quite what I want due to its greater weight.

I guess the bottom line is that, with today's digital cameras, I will have to move up to a larger chopper with more lifting capacity and better/easier vibration control if I want to take some good photos. Either that, or strip and kludge another camera ... or a cell phone camera. Hey, RC is just a hobby for me, and it's nifty to mix photography with it!

Christian, that site is very impressive ... as is the chopper he uses — nice! Probably around US$5,000 or more just for it and the radio equipment ... a bit steep for my aging blood!

Thank you all for your input.
    — Henry —
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009

Either that, or strip and kludge another camera ... or a cell phone camera.

If I had to guess, your cell phone camera probably has the smallest sensor out there. If you are trying to get better images by going with a bigger sensor, I'm betting your cell phone isn't going to be a very good choice.