Padstow Harbour

NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Landscapes
My first post here. I welcome constructive criticism, but it's also good to know what people think you've done right too. A balance of both is necessary to future improvement.

The image is Padstow Harbour in Cornwall, UK.

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin, Nyte! Lovely 1st post. The green of the water is beautiful.

2 suggestions:

1. The horizon appears to be tilted ever so slightly. I'd fix that.

2. The image as is, is little too contrasty, I think. It may be nice to see a little more detail in the very dark ares.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Looking at it again and I agree I've possibly overdone the contrast.

The slight tilt you've mentioned I 'almost' corrected that before uploading the image, but because the vertical lines of the walls and windows of the houses on the right are straight wondered if it was an optical illusion.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Nyte wrote:
    Looking at it again and I agree I've possibly overdone the contrast.

The slight tilt you've mentioned I 'almost' corrected that before uploading the image, but because the vertical lines of the walls and windows of the houses on the right are straight wondered if it was an optical illusion.

I guess it depends on which walls and windows you look at. If you are looking at the extreme right windows, then I agree with you. If you look a the middle building, it does appear a little tilted. You are probably correct about the optical illusion. However, in photographs, it's all about how an image appears, rather than how it really is, IMO. Even the strong vertical lines of the sailboat masts appear to be slightly tilted. What do you think?
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I've had it in photoshop with a grid over it and you're right, there's a slight tilt. I noticed another problem whilst getting it straight which is that some of the lines from the masts are almost disappearing amongst the lighter clouds, so I'll need to sort that out too. Ho hum! Back to the drawing board with that one.