B&W settings?

kernixkernix Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 21, 2009 in Technique
I have a Canon digital rebel XTi and I want to shoot some cityscapes in black & white. I set the Picture Style to monochrome with settings of 3, 0, R, N (that's sharpness, contrast, filter effect and toning effect). Was wondering if anyone can shoots with different settings and why.

Thanks!
James Kernicky
www.jfk-photo.com

Comments

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I shoot everything in color and raw, then I can make adjustments based on the specific image later.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I shoot everything in color and raw, then I can make adjustments based on the specific image later.

15524779-Ti.gif

I find that you get better contrast and a more pure conversion shooting raw and using ACR. I occasionally tweak in PS.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • kernixkernix Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Ok - I'll do that then - thanks!
    James Kernicky
    www.jfk-photo.com
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I shoot in B&W film, pick the film;

129416109_c9kHj-L-3.jpg
    14136959_iGws9-L-8.jpg

95220275_DhQte-L.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    kernix wrote:
    I have a Canon digital rebel XTi and I want to shoot some cityscapes in black & white. I set the Picture Style to monochrome with settings of 3, 0, R, N (that's sharpness, contrast, filter effect and toning effect). Was wondering if anyone can shoots with different settings and why.

Thanks!
    I shoot RAW and do the conversion in software on my computer. You gotta remember, you'r brain is soooo much smarter than that stupid little computer in your camera.

As an analogy, think of the product that comes out of the camera as your negative (and that's pretty much what a RAW file is). It's the darkroom (computer post-processing) work that takes that negative and creates the photograph. It's the conversion of the color information to appropriate levels of luminosity that make the B&W image and there's now way the stupid little computer in your camera can know the "right" adjustments to make.
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I have a 40D and 50D Canon camera, and have had them for only about 18 months. Prior to these I had only used 35mm film in Canon AE-1 and FTb for over 30 years. Because I have used BW film for about 1/3 of my film photos I feel I have a fairly good eye for seeing what a subject will look like in BW before I take the photo.

I agree that taking a photo in color and converting it to BW later is a better option. I have done this for many years even with film photographs.

I do have one request....
    I have been mainly using the large JPG setting on my cameras, ashamedly taking the easy way out. I want my photos to be the best they can so I think I'm ready for RAW...
    Set me straight on RAW vs JPG. What are the pro/con of each.

PS... I am currently using PhotoStudio for my editing needs.

I think I found some answers to my questions farther down in the forum...
    It is truely amazing what you can find using "Search" ....DUH....