Options

Monitor Calibration Issues

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in Finishing School
I recently purchased a Data Color "Spyder3pro". Operation is fairly simple, a couple of clicks and it verifies how your colors are compared to standard.

Now for the interesting part - I dont like the change!

When I go to their stock photos, I see my current set up is a little too cool/ blue and the optimal is warmer. The warmer settings make many of my web sites appear off color - even Smugmug goes from black and gray, to black and brown.

There is probably a learning curve in getting accustomed to the new colors that I havent given it, but the change is more than I expected.

I did take some recent prints and compared them to the newly calibrated monitor and noticed the print and the new calibration are closer than without - that's the purpose.

Anyone else have these issues?

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 20, 2009
    George, I think there is a bit of a learning curve for your eye when you first see a proper calibrated monitor, if the one you have been used to was not that close to accurate to start with.

When I first calibrated my monitor on my Windows XP computer years ago, I though it was too pink at first, and a bit too yellow as well. But I have learned to accept the proper calibrated rendition, and now, that old un calibrated monitor looks terrible.

All of my displays match pretty closely, and my prints match my screen to my eye. My prints from Smugmug also match my monitor, so I am convinced it is correct.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    JaeSenJaeSen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    I am trying to get this calibration thing all figured out and probably will purchase a Huey eventually. In the meantime, tried using Calibrize 2.0 which I was told is similar to Adobe Gamma. Problem is, I use a laptop with no controls for the contrast (only brightness). I went ahead and followed the wizard without it and then compared my prints to the image on my monitor...still not even close. My prints are coming out much darker and redder than what appears on my screen. I tried to follow instructions on how to download the ICC profile and then soft proof using Photoshop, but I run Elements 7 with no soft proof option (at least that I can find). Any suggestions...getting very frustrated!
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
    www.jaesenphotography.com