Long exposure time question.

grintulgrintul Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was messing around with shutter speed on our new rebel here at work. I was taking shots with a shutter speed of 20s. I ran over and stood on one side of a computer and then ten seconds in swapped sides.

My question is this: is there any way to make me appear less like a ghost in the shot? I understand I am only getting half the amount of light needed to expose the shot, well me on the shot, fully when i swap sides. Is there any way to circumvent this?

To me it seems impossible but I thought I would ask.

Thank you
-Nick

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    You can increase your exposure by having someone "paint" you with a flashlight. Also, make sure there is nothing in the background that will "shine" through you to make you ghosty -- a dark solid background would be much better than a light one.
  • grintulgrintul Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thank you rainbow, I will be staying after hours tonight to play around.

I was taking the shots against a yellow wall, so it was fairly bright.
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    You can stand longer.

Here's one I did (film) in Times Square - about 20-30 sec, day. Stationary means stationary - for awhile. Play around though, you may get something more interesting than just a double image of you.

44632533_8UQV5-L-1.jpg
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Here's a double-exposure I did back in the 1970s using a 35mm camera loaded with Kodachrome (no tricks, no magic, PhotoShop? 1970? you're kidding!!!!)

The camera was mounted on a tripod, and two exposures were made on the same frame.

Using a filter as a template, I cut out a piece of black paper which I then halved and pressed into the filter which I then mounted on the camera, so that one half of the lens was covered (lens masked vertically).

I made the first exposure, and then rotated the filter 180º so that now the other half of the lens was covered, and then I made the second exposure.

The picture is as is, i.e. as it came back from the processor, and there was no post-processing done, apart from scanning.

625551186_AbcQM-L.jpg

Who needs PhotoShop anyway? thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau