A brother and sister portrait from Tigua, Ecuador

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in People
_DSC0118_edited-1-1-1.jpg

_DSC0115.jpg

On my way to the Town of Tigua we stopped by with my contact who met up with one of his friends. A group of children (siblings I assume) were interested in seeing my camera and having their picture taken.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    1st shot is great..could use a crop though. clap.gif 2nd shot as is, is not doing it for me but an extreme crop on the kids face might interesting in BW
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I like both of them. In fact, the 2nd one with the children in the background helps tell the story. I wouldn't crop that one down, I think you'd lose the purpose behind the shot. Good job in my ever so humble opinion. :)
    justin24 wrote:

_DSC0115.jpg

On my way to the Town of Tigua we stopped by with my contact who met up with one of his friends. A group of children (siblings I assume) were interested in seeing my camera and having their picture taken.
  • justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Thank You. The kids were so cheerful and curious about the camera and were laughing every time I showed them the screen which showed the picture I just took.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    For me, that's what made the photo interesting. It's a Nat Geo shot if I ever saw one. :D
    justin24 wrote:
    Thank You. The kids were so cheerful and curious about the camera and were laughing every time I showed them the screen which showed the picture I just took.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    justin24 wrote:

_DSC0115.jpg

Second shot is by far the better of the two - interesting composition, good use of space. clap.gif First? Essentially a tourist snap of three kids, but it happens to be black and white.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Second shot is by far the better of the two - interesting composition, good use of space. clap.gif First? Essentially a tourist snap of three kids, but it happens to be black and white.

On reflection - I also really like the first shot - the composition, the mountains behind the children, and their expressions and relationship to one another really work. I definitely misspoke. This is not a snapshot. bowdown.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Good captures overall. They have feel and texture to them. I feel like I'm standing there.

First one, I don't like how close the top of his head is to the horizon. Maybe if it was shot from a bit higher then you could crop out a lot of the sky. It's the most annoying problem to have IMO, because there's no real way to fix it in post. Still like the grittiness the black and white gives their skin while making the background soft.

The second shot is definitely my favorite of the two. I could talk about being a little lower and closer to bring her into the frame more and get rid of the road to the right, but why? It's not like these kids were just standing there saying "Please pose me while you compose the perfect shot." These are definitely two solid shots, so be proud of them.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts