ND filter

Deej6Deej6 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 21, 2009 in Technique
Hi new here, I just got a new 10stop ND filter, I'm still trying to get the hang of using it. Right now I'm just going into manual mode and pretty much guessing the shutter speed and adjusting after every shot til I get a good exposure. :scratch I guess I could remove the filter and get a base exposure and add 10 stops to the shutter speed, seems like a lot more work. Any suggestions/tips for using the filter?
“ You’ve got to push yourself harder. You’ve got to start looking for pictures nobody else could take. You’ve got to take the tools you have and probe deeper. – William Albert Allard

Deej6

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    Deej6 wrote:
    Hi new here, ...... headscratch.gif I guess I could remove the filter and get a base exposure and add 10 stops to the shutter speed, seems like a lot more work. Any suggestions/tips for using the filter?

Looks like you've pretty much figured it out. Take a base shot w/o the filter. Add the ND400 back and then de-rate the exposure by 9 or 10 stops, then look at the histogram. Compare it with the previous shot. If it's close, then you're good. I assume you're using full manual exposure?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Deej6Deej6 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Thanks David. Yes I'm in full manual mode. I was hoping I would'nt have to remove the filter, to avoid putting fingerprints on it or even worse accidentally dropping it. I guess I just have to be careful with it.
    “ You’ve got to push yourself harder. You’ve got to start looking for pictures nobody else could take. You’ve got to take the tools you have and probe deeper. – William Albert Allard

Deej6
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Deej6 wrote:
    Hi new here, I just got a new 10stop ND filter, I'm still trying to get the hang of using it. Right now I'm just going into manual mode and pretty much guessing the shutter speed and adjusting after every shot til I get a good exposure. headscratch.gif I guess I could remove the filter and get a base exposure and add 10 stops to the shutter speed, seems like a lot more work. Any suggestions/tips for using the filter?
    Why can't you still use the camera's meter with the ND on? You won't be able to use auto-focus, but won't the meter still give you decent data?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Deej6 wrote:
    Thanks David. Yes I'm in full manual mode. I was hoping I would'nt have to remove the filter, to avoid putting fingerprints on it or even worse accidentally dropping it. I guess I just have to be careful with it.
    You are going to have to remove the filter whenever you change the framing of your exposure - there's no way you are seeing through that thing - at least I can't see through my B+W 10-stop, even when it's mounted on a f/1.8 lens - just not enough light gets through to see anything.
    jfriend wrote:
    Why can't you still use the camera's meter with the ND on? You won't be able to use auto-focus, but won't the meter still give you decent data?
    In lower light situations (and that's all you're going to get with a 10-stop ND), you're not going to get a linear (actaully it's exponential, but that's a whole 'nother discussion deal.gifD) response from the light meter - there's going to be some error.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    Welcome to the world of 10x NDs:D

I think this is one of the reasons some choose to use a variable ND, because you can actually see through it prior to rotating the polarizing filters.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin