DSS #31 C&C Please!

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited August 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Alright, Chris was right. It's high time for another narrow DOF image! :D

So here are some thoughts. Reshoots are highly unlikely, but tweaking is definitely possible.

Thermos 1
625975474_JpHqi-L.jpg
Thermos 2
625974864_L23Th-Th.jpg

Nalgene 1, 2, & 3
625782380_eCPMx-Th.jpg625783908_cYfKY-Th.jpg625785462_SpXU3-Th.jpg

EDIT --->

One more thermos shot and another idea from a get-together yesterday (SOC - will tweak, of course), let me know whether it grosses you out :) Thanks!

Thermos 3
627871405_gXjA4-L.jpg

Oyster Shuckin' 1
627988065_bjcGg-L.jpg

Oyster Shuckin' 2
627986844_f8MsR-L.jpg
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I really like the second one of the thermos.

Looks like there might some areas blown out you might need to fix but I really like.

g
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Personally, I'd go with one of the thermos, the 1st thermos, I think. I like the first termos shot better because I can see into it more and I get a better sense of depth. The darker background tones really help to bring out the pleasing repeating circular patterns made by the thermos. The bright reflecting highlights don't really bother me too much. Also, I'd try making the image into a B&W...may work.

I don't like the Nalgene bottle shots as much because of the very bright sky. For me, bright subject and dark background work much better than dark subject and bright background for a scene like this.

Good luck and great job! clap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    The Thermos Bottle images are better, but please post bigger. (Bigger bottles better!)

But (and don't take this the wrong way) I know you can do better. deal.gif Where is that Kinkajou juju that you do so well?
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    The Thermos Bottle images are better, but please post bigger. (Bigger bottles better!)

But (and don't take this the wrong way) I know you can do better. deal.gif Where is that Kinkajou juju that you do so well?

Actually, that's really nice to hear. :) I'll see if I can come up with any creative ideas in the next couple days. Will have limited connection though, won't be much opportunity for feedback :-/

I made the thermos posts larger and am now leaning toward thermos #1... with some touch-ups.
    Webpage

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Of the two thermos pics, I like #1 better as well.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    First one is the best of the group.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I agree! Thermos 1 looks the best of the bunch.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    You are one of the rare few who pulls off the shallow DOF well..

I have always admired your clean work and set ups..
    Especially loved those cherries..!!!

However, so far,, I put my vote in for your open negotiations shot. I still think it is stronger entry because it is such a creative take on the theme so it stands out in the crowd. IMHO :D

The thermoses are strong for theme too, however, you need to give the rim better definition if you decide to go with that shot because the edge of the rim on the right blends into the flash... Perhaps work to balance the lighting some and work with reflective color on that metal?

Good Luck With It..thumb.gif

Kat
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I predicted this.... :D

I really, really, really want to love nalgene bottle #1. I especially love the soft color and the composition....it has a certain print/advert quality to it. However, :cry the rim really needs to be sharp IMO - just too much softness to go with the soft colors, nothing for my eyes to really hone in on.:cry

So, I would go with thermos #1. I like the perspective here MUCH more than #2, though I kinda wished I was able to see the spot of wood grain of the table on #1 as I do in #2.

I'm not convinced you're done shooting for #31 yet. mwink.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Thanks guys, you are great! Thank you for pushing me and making sure I'm on top of my game!

I just wish there was more time... I was away all last week for work and then I'm leaving again in the next 10 min for the weekend, and my table, headlamp, and thermos won't be coming with me (yup, that was the entirety of the setup :D ). I'm not sure I'll be able to hop online for more than a total of 15 min or so, so I just can't forsee coming up with anything more between now and 8am Monday :cry

I'll work on this guy as well as a couple others from the same shoot and see what I can pull off. I hope I can meet your standards! bowdown.gif

Thanks again everyone.
    Webpage