Options

Multiple domaines (with and without www)

mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
edited June 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I've got a domain name registered through Register.com and have the domain alias set up like this:
www.ruama.com points to www.smugmug.com
and in smugmug I've got the custom hostname set to www.ruama.com

That all works just fine, entering www.ruama.com in the browser take people to the right place.

However, if you just enter ruama.com (without the www.) it doesn't work.
I've tried adding a second alias that points ruama.com to www.smugmug.com but that ends up breaking it completely (neither ruama.com or www.ruama.com work in that case).

Is there a way I can set it up so that it works either way?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 28, 2005
    Onethumb updated some code related to this just recently. From the latest patch notes:
    - Custom domains should now "auto-forward" multiple hostnames on the same domain to your custom hostname. If you use, for example, myphotos.mydomain.com, you can now point myphotos2.mydomain.com and mydomain.com to smugmug and they will redirect to myphotos.mydomain.com.

Make sure to delete any existing records for @ (indicating lack of domain). If you have any already set up, they would conflict with your newly created smugmug record. Then create a CNAME for @ to point to www.smugmug.com.

Good luck!

-Ben
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    Onethumb updated some code related to this just recently. From the latest patch notes:
    - Custom domains should now "auto-forward" multiple hostnames on the same domain to your custom hostname. If you use, for example, myphotos.mydomain.com, you can now point myphotos2.mydomain.com and mydomain.com to smugmug and they will redirect to myphotos.mydomain.com.

Make sure to delete any existing records for @ (indicating lack of domain). If you have any already set up, they would conflict with your newly created smugmug record. Then create a CNAME for @ to point to www.smugmug.com.

Good luck!

-Ben
    I'm still having some problems. Earlier today I went to register.com and added a plain ruama.com alias so that my aliases were set like this:
    ruama.com points to www.smugmug.com

After a few hours once the changes went through, I was completely broken again. Neither ruama.com nor www.ruama.com would take me to my smugmug section. I would get a not found error in the browser.

For now, I have gone back in and deleted the plain ruama.com alias and left the www.ruama.com alias to get it working again (although it'll take a few hours for the change to go into effect.

I'm not quite sure what the stuff above with the @ is indicating and what it is I should be deleting.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    The issue is with smugmug.

In the account settings area under professional, you put in your custom hostname.

If I put galleries.creativekhaos.com, and type that in my browser, it will go to khaos.smugmug.com and list http://galleries.creativekhaos.com

If I type in www.galleries.creativekhaos.com it will only go to the smugmug homepage.

The reverse is true if I use www. in my custom host name

We need to be allowed to have more than one custom host name.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 29, 2005
    mbrady wrote:
    I've got a domain name registered through Register.com and have the domain alias set up like this:
    and in smugmug I've got the custom hostname set to www.ruama.com

That all works just fine, entering www.ruama.com in the browser take people to the right place.

However, if you just enter ruama.com (without the www.) it doesn't work.
    I've tried adding a second alias that points ruama.com to www.smugmug.com but that ends up breaking it completely (neither ruama.com or www.ruama.com work in that case).

Is there a way I can set it up so that it works either way?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Matt,

To get this to work the way you want, you need a CNAME record (alias) for 'www', which works for www.ruama.com

But to get ruama.com, you will need to create an A record (address) that points to the ip address for www.smugmug.com.

I hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    The issue is with smugmug.

In the account settings area under professional, you put in your custom hostname.

If I put galleries.creativekhaos.com, and type that in my browser, it will go to khaos.smugmug.com and list http://galleries.creativekhaos.com

If I type in www.galleries.creativekhaos.com it will only go to the smugmug homepage.

The reverse is true if I use www. in my custom host name

We need to be allowed to have more than one custom host name.

This is a bug. Fixed. (See: bug fix release )

I'm afraid we have no plans to allow more than one custom hostname, though. Sorry about that!

Don
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    I still can't get this to work, but I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, although there's not a whole lot of settings to deal with.

If I go to register.com and set an alias for www.ruama.com to www.smugmug.com everything works good. If I add another alias pointint ruama.com to www.smugmug.com it breaks both of them. I have to delete the ruama.com alias to get www.ruama.com working again.

Is there anything additional on the smugmug side I need to do? I have my host name thing set to www.ruama.com

Matt