Atlantic City Airshow - 8/19/09

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I've been meaning to get down to the Atlantic City air show for a few years now, and finally was able to do so this year. Since summer weekends are busy in AC, they hold the show mid-week, to bring in additional visitors. Estimates put the crowd at 750,000! The USAF Thunderbirds headlined the show, but there was one of the widest varieties of performers I've seen at an air show. As with most beach shows, the lighting was horrible, but I managed a few decent shots...

#1 - For photography, a little humidity is always a good thing. For this photographer, not so much:whew
624965660_uxMMo-L.jpg

#2 - Navy E-2C Hawkeye
625402662_RjVNw-L.jpg

#3 - My "Hometown Heros" - HH-60 Pave Hawk from the 106th Air Rescue Wing, NYANG, based at Long Island's Gabreski Airport.
625402034_p6hBg-L.jpg

#4 - USMC CH-46 Sea Knight kicking up some spray.
625402573_2e6Wk-L.jpg

#5 - USAF Thunderbirds two-ship pass
625404690_j2wyS-L.jpg

#6 - US Army Golden Knights parachute team
625403204_JeNzM-L.jpg

#7 - F-22 Raptor making some vapor trails
625737277_a88Rn-L.jpg

#8 - USN Legacy Flight, made up of an F/A-18F Hornet, and an F4U Corsair. The Corsair is owned by the American Airpower Museum (my second home!)
625738348_FXoNQ-L.jpg

#9 - A little sideways flying!
625739151_M57or-L.jpg

#10 - The Thunderbirds close the show
625740045_6xcD4-L.jpg

More photos here: http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/9342477_W5EZL/1/624965660_uxMMo

Comments

• Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Very nice shots John but I especially like the Corsair and the F/18 together. The Corsair was always one of my favorite planes. thumb.gif One thing though that really caught my eye were the two people on top of Bally's. What a view that must have been for the airshow. :D

Bud
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Great Shots! They turned out better than most of my shots from the Blue Angels at Pensacola last month. All of the smoke was rolling into the beach 11doh.gif .
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    VERY nice!!

I am a sucker for planes. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

The heritage flights are awesome.... here is one from the DFW show last fall.
    (the Golden Knights... I am almost certain I have a pic of the same exact guy too lol)

2944479535_1e4f02dc18_o.jpg
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Great images!!
    Yeah, I saw the guys on Bally's too. Wonder how you get those seats? Perhaps maintainence staff picking the opportune time to check the roof for leaks...

What focal length were you shooting (adjusted for camera crop)?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Hi Moose,

Got yourself some good shots here. I'm a little surprised to see they had such a good turnout. The number of fans, as well as planes flying in for show, at the recent Sun 'N' Fun extravaganza in Lakeland, FL was way off. Particularly noticeable was the fewer number of old Warbirds that showed. A couple of the pilots I talked to said they were cutting back on their exibition schedule because of the economy. Sad to see it.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Hi Moose. I was probably not that far from where you were shooting based on your pictures. Yea, the heat and humidity were brutal and the light was harsh but it was a good show !!!!! I was worried that we would get a thunder storm instead of Thunderbirds. :D:D

I checked your gallery, Sweet !!!!!
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Hey Moose,

You have some real great photos here and on your site! I also wanted to give you a thanks for your work on the Wounded Warrior Project. I was never in harms way, but I have friends who either never came back, or didn't come back the same as they left......so, THANK YOU on their behalf!
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words! It was certainly worth the heat, humidity, and sunburn.

Andrew, these were all shot with a 40D and 100-400mm lens.

Fred, nice work on your shots as well. I was about 2 blocks south of show center, Texas Ave, I believe. Had a guy near me with a Nikon 600mm lens on a tripod, if you saw him, I was in that area all day.

Doug (Cathy?) I appreciate that - the WWP does some outstanding work. As a veteran myself, it's good to see them caring for those who need it.